JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   "Unintended acceleration" 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/unintended-acceleration-2005-jeep-grand-cherokee-laredo-281234/)

mknight 06-08-2006 03:55 PM

"Unintended acceleration" 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

A friend of mine has a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that decided to climb some stairs after she parked. She is convinced that the gas pedal stuck when she removed her foot to apply the brake to put in Park.

Has anybody else heard anything like this for this year/make/model? Kind of suspicious as Chrysler sent a representative out to "investigate" the problem. Hmmmmmm...............

I know they Jeep Grand Cherokee's had "unintended acceleration" problems in the past.

Please e-mail me at melissaknight1969@yahoo.com with any imput/opinions, etc.

Thank you!

FPKites 06-08-2006 03:56 PM

I think there's a recall on that, but not sure. Make sure to tell your friend to check with the dealership.

drewman141 06-08-2006 04:07 PM

Part of the problem is that the pedals are too close together. So if you step on the edge of the brake pedal you will depress the accelerator and the accelerator responds way before the brakes do. I know it sounds stupid but it is very true. I did this once during the first couple of days I owned the WK and went straight through a red light and almost soiled myself and dropped a few f-bombs. :eek: Needless to say I now use my entire foot centered on the pedals. Not to mention I have heard of other complaining about this same issue.

FPKites 06-08-2006 04:08 PM

Thanks Drew, I remembered reading about it, but didn't remember if it was a dealer corrected item or not.

drewman141 06-08-2006 04:15 PM

Yeah there's nothing listed on Wkjeeps.com about it and I never got any response from the dealer about it. It's just something you need to be conscious about when stepping on the pedals until you retrain yourself.

Jetjock16 06-08-2006 09:26 PM

That had happened to me more then once off roading in my 94 GC..... try to hit break and both pedals get pressed.... the engine wins.... almost crashed both times...(was off road situations thank goodness)... It can happen very easily... there has been recalls for last 10 years on this... they still have them pedals too close!

reneveah 06-09-2006 12:08 AM

I alwasy thought they were too close, but from the time I started to drive, about 3 years now, I use my right foot for gas and left for brake, always have done this. For me its easier, and I have a faster responce time and, I dont hit the gas. I have aftermarket pedals in my jeep and that brings them closer yet, but I dont have a problem, bu I did notice that they are very close

charlope 02-22-2010 12:19 PM

The V8 jeeps are not allowed at our octopus car washes due to the death of multple people caused by unintetional acceleration

ratmonkey 02-23-2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlope (Post 8944962)
The V8 jeeps are not allowed at our octopus car washes due to the death of multple people caused by unintetional acceleration

ok....that'd be ALL over the news if it were true.

99% of the problems are with people unsure of the pedal placement in jeeps. they're pretty much all like that. .5% can be attributed to stuck throttle cables and another .5% to the newest drive by wire systems failing.
i will not own a drive by wire vehicle until all normal cars are off the road completely.

comptiger5000 02-23-2010 01:33 PM

I hate drive by wire as well, but mostly because the pedals don't have the same feel, they're almost mushy in some cars. Not only that, but they tend to have a longer travel, and they lag, so you don't have the nice instant response.

ezflip 02-23-2010 01:40 PM

4 year old thread (in the wrong forum no less) being resurrected for.....:confused:

Texas WJ 02-23-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

:laugh:

What nonsense.

The time now is 03:33 PM.