Underdog Bumper Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Underdog Bumper Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 01-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Underdog Bumper Build

I posted this in my build thread but I'm sure there aren't a lot of Ppl on here that have heard of my build thread. Anyways. I'm building a bumper and here is my progress

These are the mounts I made. They will mount up using the 3 bolt holes the stock tow hooks use. I will build off of the shackle mount to so the bumper. I already have the template done and will post pics of that soon

Unread 01-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Underdog Bumper Build

Here is the progress on the template which was more difficult than I thought. A lot of angles to get right.

Unread 01-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
bcoot
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_dude88 View Post
Here is the progress on the template which was more difficult than I thought. A lot of angles to get right.

If you build this make 2 and ill buy one. Love it
bcoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
xOttox
2010 WK 

Looks excellent, can't wait to see it done.
xOttox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_dude88 View Post

If you build this make 2 and ill buy one. Love it
Well I'll definitely gonna build it. If your serious pm me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xOttox View Post
Looks excellent, can't wait to see it done.
Me either. Eager to get some material and time to get it done.
fla_dude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

I'm thinking about doing a stinger type bar and some 6 inch light pockets. The light pockets may be out of my skill range though. MY cousin has a 42 inch led light bar and 4 squared 4 inch less for 200. He might take 150 so I'm considering doing a rectangular light pocket and having (2) 4" leds in each pocket. Bcoot what you think?
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Anyone interested in buying one of these from me?
Unread 01-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
xOttox
2010 WK 

I would toss some money your way for the plans on it. Dont think I could afford the shipping once it was completed.
Unread 01-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
I would toss some money your way for the plans on it. Dont think I could afford the shipping once it was completed.
Email me fla_dude88@yahoo.com or text me. 8502726133
Unread 01-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
xOttox
2010 WK 

Email will be sent shortly.

What are your plans, if any with the area left exposed around what looks like the radiator support in the last picture?
Unread 01-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Email will be sent shortly.

What are your plans, if any with the area left exposed around what looks like the radiator support in the last picture?
I've considered a few options. I'm fine with it like it is. I just want a nice bumper that can handle a deer. Any suggestions
Unread 01-13-2015, 03:56 AM   #12
ggrassmid

Looks similar to this
Someone should start making one that looks like the saguaro one with a winch! I'd be all over that!
JF Black WK Club #168
ggrassmid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
Looks similar to this
Someone should start making one that looks like the saguaro one with a winch! I'd be all over that!
Well Imo that bumper looks more like what crawl offroad is going for mine leans more toward sanguaro4x bumper. That was my inspiration anyway. Obviously mine will not look exactly like theirs cause I'm not as skilled nor do I have the cad skills required to produce something like that. Mine will be tweaked a little as it is built. I may build an extra one or 2 incase someone is happy with the outcome and would like one but remember my jeep is an 08+
Unread 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #14
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Looks good! It's hard to see your mounting situation, but it looks like you just have the bottom plate butted up against the front shackle mounts? That's not going to be strong enough to hold up to trail abuse or a good pull from a strap or winch. Also you will want to use the 2 under frame bolts (factory tow hook mounts) and incorporate side and top bolting as well. I've seen a guy rip the hooks off the frame which took the bumper with it. You don't want the same to happen to you. Get a solid mount configured and you'll have a sweet bumper set up! Are you planning on adding a winch, maybe hidden?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #15
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Looks good! It's hard to see your mounting situation, but it looks like you just have the bottom plate butted up against the front shackle mounts? That's not going to be strong enough to hold up to trail abuse or a good pull from a strap or winch. Also you will want to use the 2 under frame bolts (factory tow hook mounts) and incorporate side and top bolting as well. I've seen a guy rip the hooks off the frame which took the bumper with it. You don't want the same to happen to you. Get a solid mount configured and you'll have a sweet bumper set up! Are you planning on adding a winch, maybe hidden?
Well it is welded up like this.
I have thought about it not being strong enough without a gusset. But I don't do much trail riding anymore and never snatched anything. But I would still like to revise it. It bolts up using all 3 bolt holes of stock tow hooks. And have considered just welding the shackle mount to the bottom of the mount plate.
Yes I have considered a winch. right now no. But I've thought about cutting a solid piece that would use the frame role holes and replace the cross member basically the way you have your winch mount built. But yes if I do a winch it will be hidden. There are flaws in this design that can be pointed out but for me it's just a nice steel bumper that will holt up to a deer. And the way it is designed it will hold up well to a frontal impact. I can build a much better trail ready bumper but for my needs this is sufficient. When I build mine. May build another one when I do mine to show yall what I can make.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.