Underdog Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Underdog Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Underdog Build Thread

I figured I'd start a build thread. My name is shelby godwin from blountstown, florida and I've had my 2010 jeep wk since August of 2012. I've been trolling the forum getting ideas and advice for quite sometime so bout time I contribute. I have a 2010 jeep wk laredo. 3.7 4x4 and that is why I call it the underdog. Everyone else has a name so this is mine. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but I will try.

This is how my wk looks to date

Here is a stock jeep that looks just mine did.

and I drove it like that for about 6 months and I ordered some 17" rockstars and the rough country lift along with some 255/75/17 BFGoodrich km mts off a jk. Well I got the tires mounted on the rims and hadn't yet installed the lift but planned to that weekend and couldn't wait so I went ahead and put on the rims n tires. Scrubbed but I didn't care lol.

as you can see the tires did not belong on the jeep just yet

and pics of the lift installed

as you can see I had to take the hub covers off while offroading. That is because they are plastic which is why I ended up selling them. I painted my stock wheels black and mounted the jk tires on them.

and this is how it sits at that time and as you can see I did paint the grill black along the way.

Not long after that my front struts blew so I bought the old man emu hd set up for the front and removed the stock suspension and the rc spacer up front and added f150 Munroe load levelers. I was able to clear bigger tires with the new suspension setup so I got some 295/70/17 toyo mt's and here are some pics of that.

and I think this is a hood stopping point. I'll update some more later. I hope yall enjoy

fla_dude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Next up I decided to hack the bumper off since it was catching on logs I had to crawl over while on the trail. I had removed the plastidip on the grill and painted the center of the bumper. Then I painted the grill again. Then added lights up top. And now some pics of all of the phases

this is the bumper cut off and only the center bumper black

and this is a pic of the lights up top and the grille and bumper black. Oh yeah I also plastidipped a stripe on the side

Later on I bought a brush guard and had removed the roof lights

after that I had added the lights up top again. And some fog lights on the brush guard. The fogs are hella 500ff and the roof lights are regular olé autozone lights

All lights are wired into the highs so if any one flashes me cause they thought my brights were on they get this lol

Idk if anyone noticed the tires in the recent pics but they are nearly bald cooper stts. 33x12.50x17. I ended up with these cause me and my wifewife found out we were having our 3rd child so we sold the toyos for some cash and the coopers and was going to trade in the jeep for a mini van well didn't happen so I rode the coopers for a yr.

The flex pic was to test the new jba control arms. These were purchased because my ball joints were shot so I forked out a little more cash than stock replacements required and got the jba upper control arms for a lifted wk which have replaceable ball joints so next time I need ball joints I can fork out 30 per side and be done. No pics of install but if any of you installed your own ome or rc lift you can handle it I love them. The angle is much nicer.

Just before I installed the brush guard I peeled off the plastidip stripe and put on some vinyl stripes and one on the rear which can be seen a couple pics up but here us a better pic of the stripes before the brush guard was installed.

Unread 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

I scored a set of 5 jk rims. I borrowed omelets idea with my paint idea but I went with red instead of blue and painted the spare solid black. I mounted a bald 35x12.50x17 nitto mud grappler on the spare and used it as a test fit. All went well so I bought a set of 35x12.50x17 nitto mud grapplers with 50% tread. I mounted the spare on the roof. Installed the mud grapplers which required flattening the pinch weld more and installed a jba strut spacer. And now for some pics

the rims painted

the mud grapplers mounted

everything put on. I used a photo editor and colored in the red so it can be seen better. I don't have a nice camera. Just a cellphone so I try to edit so the pic comes out best.

I also trimmed the bumper again so it wasn't just a straight across cut. Plus at certain angles it appeared to be a crooked cut.
Unread 06-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
schobbs
2009 WK 

Nice build! I have the same Jeep as you, color and all. I've been thinking of doing my grill black, but wasn't sure how it'd look but I like the way yours looks!
schobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

I have been wanting step bars for quite some time...well my wife has. I wanted some rock rails. Not necessarily for function but more for sturdiness that step bars will never provide and also for the look. Well step bars are more affordable but wasn't gonna wast money on something that I would eventually take off anyway so I started scouring craigslist and I ran across these

they are oem rock rails off a Toyota fj. I got measurements from the guy and turns out the tubes from end to end will line up about the same way the tubes on the steel armadillo super slider do and he only wanted 150 for them so I jumped on them. I don't know how to weld very well so I had my friend help me and we dabbed up some mounts and supports and 2 days later we had it all figured out and mounted.

Now keep in mind I am on the low end of middle class income with a wife and 3 kids so everything done to my jeep is done myself or with the help of a friend. No fancy stuff just some driveway mechanics so when your welding under a vehicle with flip flops and swimming trunks and laying on cardboard the slap tends to get between you and the cardboard and burns you lol. So this was the home remedy to prevent that haha

with the steps all mounted here is a full body pic and a pic of how far they stick out.

and voilà that is my wk currently. I am very happy with it but now I need more power cause this 3.7 is not liking the 35s. But I do so it will deal with it u til power comes it's way.

A little run down of current mods...

Suspension:
Rear- rc spacer with f150 Munroe load levelers
front- ome hd and jba strut spacer
Jba upper control arms and stock sway bar links painted red

Tires and wheels:
255/75/17 BFGoodrich km mts on rockstars, then on stock rims painted black with 1 1/2" rc wheel spacers
295/70/17 toyo mt's on stock wheels black
285/70/17 cooper stts mts on stock wheels
And finally 35x12.50x17 nitto mud grapplers on custom painted jk wheels

Apparent mods:
Vinyl stripes
Brush guard
Custom fitted rock rails
Srt8 decals

Lights:
Hella 500ff fogs on brush guard
Pilot navigators on roof

Performance:
Super 44 and glass pack
Custom pvc intake lol
To come....headers, K&n intake, hypertech programmer and hopefully 4:10 gears.

I think I got everything
Unread 06-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schobbs View Post
Nice build! I have the same Jeep as you, color and all. I've been thinking of doing my grill black, but wasn't sure how it'd look but I like the way yours looks!
Thanks man. I love mine. I think the black grille looks good with the light Greystone pearlcoat
Unread 06-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Holy hell 35's on an OME? You're giving me ideas that my wallet isn't going to like.

Any videos of the exhaust? I've been thinking about pairing a glasspack with a flowmaster on my 3.7.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #8
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
Holy hell 35's on an OME? You're giving me ideas that my wallet isn't going to like.

Any videos of the exhaust? I've been thinking about pairing a glasspack with a flowmaster on my 3.7.
The 35s are tight and depending on what type of wheeling you do will depend on whether you will like having them or not. There aren't any rocks or boulders where I wheel. Just mud and trees so not a whole lot of flexing and turning at the same time so it works well for me.

I don't have any videos right now but I will try to get a video up loaded this weekend. I think it sounds good. It was a little raspy at higher rpms with just the flow master. The glass pack worked well to keep the tone nice all the way through.
Unread 06-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Apparently I'm a little too proud of my wk cause there has been almost 200 views but only 2 people have commented
Unread 06-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
GC10LTD
2010 WK 

You are running 35's on a 3.7?! What your MPG like?
Unread 06-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC10LTD View Post
You are running 35's on a 3.7?! What your MPG like?
12mpg is what it says. That is the full time average. City and hwy combined. But keep in mind I am running 35's when the computer thinks I'm running like a 27 inch tall tire so I'm going further than it thinks so I'd say prolly 13 or 14. With no power mods except custom exhaust and rigged up intake
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
thunderfgc
2005 WK 

35s on a OME lift is epic. I'm looking for new tires and wanted trail grapplers but those mud grapplers look pretty mean. Very nice. You've got my gold star for the day. Cause that rig looks wicked.
05 WK Limited Hemi. 4" Superlift. 265/70r17 treadwright claws. K&n intake. Flowmaster 10. Pinch weld mod. Black WK Club #118. "When in doubt, press the gas pedal harder!"
thunderfgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
GC10LTD
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_dude88 View Post
12mpg is what it says. That is the full time average. City and hwy combined. But keep in mind I am running 35's when the computer thinks I'm running like a 27 inch tall tire so I'm going further than it thinks so I'd say prolly 13 or 14. With no power mods except custom exhaust and rigged up intake
How much power have you lost lol!? Is it a DD with the Mud Grapps?
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
fla_dude88
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfgc View Post
35s on a OME lift is epic. I'm looking for new tires and wanted trail grapplers but those mud grapplers look pretty mean. Very nice. You've got my gold star for the day. Cause that rig looks wicked.
Thank you very much. This is the replies I was hoping to get, cause as far as I know I am the very first to fit 35s on an old man emu setup. I have put a lot of work into my wk so hearing it is wicked and getting your gold star of the day means a lot from a fellow wk owner.

I love the mud grapplers. They are the best looking tires ever made in my opinion, but they are loud. I don't mind loud so it don't bother me. They ride very smooth and balanced with very little weight, which is amazing considering they were a little over 50% wore when I bought them. I would recommend them to anyone.

The trail grapplers are very nice tires too but not as aggressive looking IMO. I have been in a vehicle (2011 gmc Sierra with 33x13.00x20) and they were just as loud as my used mud grapplers, but have been in a ride (don't remember what kind it was) again with new trail grapplers and they had a slight hum, so I guess it depends.

Hope this helps you decide between the two.
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
fafafofi

2006 WK 

What are your hub to fender measurements?
fafafofi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.