Undercarriage concern - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Undercarriage concern

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
coastalsurfer
2007 WK 

Undercarriage concern

So I've been looking for a Jeep for ages and I finally found what I thought is a gem and admittedly I think I was looking for so long and just got sick of looking and settled on this one but now I might be suffering buyers remorse I guess? I don't know.

It's a 2007 5.7l, has 73k miles and I got it for 14k, I tried to do right and checked to make sure everything worked and bought it cause it seemed right after doing some research. I checked to make sure everything was working properly but today I was throwing some stuff in the trunk and noticed some rust and now I feel like a ******* cause I didn't remember to check the undercarriage. I know. I'm an idiot. But I can't take it back now obviously.

I live in New England, and rust isn't uncommon but now I'm worried. Is this a lot of rust/in bad places? Is it a huge issue? I feel like such an idiot. I touched it and it doesn't seem to flake of at all. It's just a lot of discoloration. Is this common on this kind of Jeep? This is my first Jeep ever after wanting one for some time and now I finally found a Jeep with low mileage with everything I wanted and now I feel like it's going to rust out on me before I even get to enjoy it.

How can I fix it/how much would it cost to fix something like this?

I know I'm stupid and I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I really appreciate any help.

imag2211.jpg   imag2212.jpg   imag2213.jpg  
coastalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This is not that big a deal at all. For one thing - that piece behind the spare is just a heat shield to insulate the spare from your exhaust. The rear tracbar, axle tubes, pumpkin, lower shock mounts, rear LCA mounts, and the rails can all be descaled with a wire brush or wire wheel and angle grinder - even good ol' fashioned 80 grit sand paper. Prime it, paint it; might not necessarily even need to prime it. Some flat black Rustoleum rattle can would work fine.

'07 HEMI with 73K on the ticker - $14grand - nice find IMO!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

yeah that's not so bad - try to get a good look at fuel tank and surrounding area - I read some folks found rust there that required them to repair or replace the tank
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
james_2k
2009 WK 

id mount the spare the other way around, might avoid some scratches on it?

mine was the opposite way to that.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

yeah that's just some surface rust, man. If it were flaking, chipping, or worse (brittle)... Yeah that'd be a serious problem. After you sand those down, and repaint them. You might consider an undercarriage winter protection coat of some sort.
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Jason911
2008 WK 

Flip the spare over - but surface rust is no worse than what you see here in WI. Nothing to worry about. Bear in mind that it's almost a 7 year old daily driver.
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
LouC
2007 WK 

I bet that a lot of WKs in snow areas have that same rust. What I'd do it remove the spare tire and then get some SEM rust converter. Wire brush any loose rust off, clean well with a solvent and then (use gloves and goggles as this stuff has phosphoric acid in it) brush on the rust converter. Let it dry a day and then prime and paint with Rustolium. You can use a brush on primer and paint, just get a nice coat of primer and paint on it.
Believe it or not my ZJ has hardly any rust but where I did fix it this same way is in the bottom edge of hatch. I put that stuff on like 5 years ago and the rust never came back.
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
EthanC23
2005 WK 

Wanna trade? That's nothing. You should have seen when I bought my jeep over here in Manitoba CANADA. Now that was surface rust. Like everyone else says, it's an easy "fix". Drive it up ramps, get on a creeper with a wirewheel and drill and go to town. I don't know what the climate is like where you are that well, but here it's winter 7 months out of the year, so I skipped the painting step and just wire cleaned everything and sprayed undercoating. I think undercoating is a better bang for your buck. 6 cans of it and the entire undercarriage will be done and last quite a few harsh winters. At $10 a can (Canadian currency atleast), you can't go wrong with undercoating.
EthanC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

Rust is a chemical reaction, O2 trying to combine with FE (iron) to make iron oxide (rust) FeO2.
You must neutralize any rust because the O2 in the air will get to it and start it all over again.
Wire brush, clean with solvent, converter, prime and paint.
Take it from a salt water boater. I know corrosion.
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

When I looked at mine it had already been painted by someone and seems to be holding up good idk what they used I assume some rust converting stuff like por15
Unread 09-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
r_p
2005 WK 

I just got a 05 Limited (~75K miles, mostly used in WI) and the underside looks very similar to yours.
r_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Atrain1066
2005 WK 

When I bought my WK it looked similar to yours underneath - I wire brushed it, and coated it with Rustoleum truck bed liner. It comes in a spray can that works in any direction. I just stayed away from brakes and exhaust and went to town. Still looks brand new under there.
285/60R/18 Nitto Terra Grappler
Atrain1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Yours doesn't look as bad as mine, it's on my to do list before winter to sand and repaint
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.