JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Undercarriage concern (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/undercarriage-concern-1632137/)

coastalsurfer 09-28-2013 03:55 PM

Undercarriage concern

3 Attachment(s)
So I've been looking for a Jeep for ages and I finally found what I thought is a gem and admittedly I think I was looking for so long and just got sick of looking and settled on this one but now I might be suffering buyers remorse I guess? I don't know.

It's a 2007 5.7l, has 73k miles and I got it for 14k, I tried to do right and checked to make sure everything worked and bought it cause it seemed right after doing some research. I checked to make sure everything was working properly but today I was throwing some stuff in the trunk and noticed some rust and now I feel like a ******* cause I didn't remember to check the undercarriage. I know. I'm an idiot. But I can't take it back now obviously.

I live in New England, and rust isn't uncommon but now I'm worried. Is this a lot of rust/in bad places? Is it a huge issue? I feel like such an idiot. I touched it and it doesn't seem to flake of at all. It's just a lot of discoloration. Is this common on this kind of Jeep? This is my first Jeep ever after wanting one for some time and now I finally found a Jeep with low mileage with everything I wanted and now I feel like it's going to rust out on me before I even get to enjoy it.

How can I fix it/how much would it cost to fix something like this?

I know I'm stupid and I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I really appreciate any help.

JeepN4KC 09-28-2013 04:04 PM

This is not that big a deal at all. For one thing - that piece behind the spare is just a heat shield to insulate the spare from your exhaust. The rear tracbar, axle tubes, pumpkin, lower shock mounts, rear LCA mounts, and the rails can all be descaled with a wire brush or wire wheel and angle grinder - even good ol' fashioned 80 grit sand paper. Prime it, paint it; might not necessarily even need to prime it. Some flat black Rustoleum rattle can would work fine.

'07 HEMI with 73K on the ticker - $14grand - nice find IMO!

Zlartibartfast 09-28-2013 04:41 PM

yeah that's not so bad - try to get a good look at fuel tank and surrounding area - I read some folks found rust there that required them to repair or replace the tank

james_2k 09-29-2013 06:36 AM

id mount the spare the other way around, might avoid some scratches on it? :)

mine was the opposite way to that.

AJeepZJ 09-29-2013 06:48 AM

yeah that's just some surface rust, man. If it were flaking, chipping, or worse (brittle)... Yeah that'd be a serious problem. After you sand those down, and repaint them. You might consider an undercarriage winter protection coat of some sort.

Jason911 09-29-2013 09:19 AM

Flip the spare over - but surface rust is no worse than what you see here in WI. Nothing to worry about. Bear in mind that it's almost a 7 year old daily driver.

LouC 09-29-2013 10:56 AM

I bet that a lot of WKs in snow areas have that same rust. What I'd do it remove the spare tire and then get some SEM rust converter. Wire brush any loose rust off, clean well with a solvent and then (use gloves and goggles as this stuff has phosphoric acid in it) brush on the rust converter. Let it dry a day and then prime and paint with Rustolium. You can use a brush on primer and paint, just get a nice coat of primer and paint on it.
Believe it or not my ZJ has hardly any rust but where I did fix it this same way is in the bottom edge of hatch. I put that stuff on like 5 years ago and the rust never came back.

EthanC23 09-29-2013 11:50 AM

Wanna trade? That's nothing. You should have seen when I bought my jeep over here in Manitoba CANADA. Now that was surface rust. Like everyone else says, it's an easy "fix". Drive it up ramps, get on a creeper with a wirewheel and drill and go to town. I don't know what the climate is like where you are that well, but here it's winter 7 months out of the year, so I skipped the painting step and just wire cleaned everything and sprayed undercoating. I think undercoating is a better bang for your buck. 6 cans of it and the entire undercarriage will be done and last quite a few harsh winters. At $10 a can (Canadian currency atleast), you can't go wrong with undercoating.

LouC 09-29-2013 12:03 PM

Rust is a chemical reaction, O2 trying to combine with FE (iron) to make iron oxide (rust) FeO2.
You must neutralize any rust because the O2 in the air will get to it and start it all over again.
Wire brush, clean with solvent, converter, prime and paint.
Take it from a salt water boater. I know corrosion.

Keeslinger31 09-29-2013 02:34 PM

When I looked at mine it had already been painted by someone and seems to be holding up good idk what they used I assume some rust converting stuff like por15

r_p 09-29-2013 05:38 PM

I just got a 05 Limited (~75K miles, mostly used in WI) and the underside looks very similar to yours.

Atrain1066 09-29-2013 07:41 PM

When I bought my WK it looked similar to yours underneath - I wire brushed it, and coated it with Rustoleum truck bed liner. It comes in a spray can that works in any direction. I just stayed away from brakes and exhaust and went to town. Still looks brand new under there.

ChanWK 09-29-2013 07:50 PM

Yours doesn't look as bad as mine, it's on my to do list before winter to sand and repaint

The time now is 02:11 PM.