Twistedlizard72's Build and other Adventures - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Twistedlizard72's Build and other Adventures

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #31
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Not sure if they pulled the fluid on the trans, they did on the t-case though.

I had the trans rebuilt 16 months ago, driven only about 9,000 miles since then.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Got the Jeep back today!

Shop couldn't find anything wrong other than the forward diff bushing being worn. Shifts fine, the only concern I have now is a bit of a lag time when shifting between R-N-D.

Also need to hunt down a front drive shaft before mine lets loose. CV grease is finding its way out of the CV and onto the under carriage. Think I'll make a junkyard run next week.

Does anyone have the part number for the front shaft from a 2007 with 4.7L?

Unread 04-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #33
jjt250
2007 WK 

Great it's okay! I don't have the part number but I think the 2007's use a different front shaft than 05-06's. Don't quote me on that but you might want to do your research first before you buy something.
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #34
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Soooo, Trans is still acting funny. I reset the PCM, it smoothed it out a little bit and helped with the shift timing, but didn't solve the issue. It occurs when shifting into D, in 1st gear when under a heavier torque load, and downshifting from any other gear. Best way to describe it is jumpy. In 1st gear it is a little funny though, it's almost there is a torque threshold and it starts to slip, then shifts to second. Downshifting is like it sticks for a second then slams into gear. It's enough of a slam that it's making my front driveshaft contact the crossmember during the 1st gear event and downshifting. Otherwise, if I'm easy on it, shifts fine.

Also got under the thing and found a part number for the driveshaft!

Part Number: 52853431AA

Factory Mopar Parts has them for about $250, but going to research having something else built.
http://www.factorymoparparts.com/52853431aa.html

Unread 06-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Hey man great build the Superlift looks great. You got any pictures of your rig from the rear? I am installing a Superlift this summer and I think I'm limited to the 285 size because I have the 3.7L. I want to make sure that the 33's won't look to small.
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Here you go

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #37
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Awesome man, looks good. You like the 33" size with the superlift?
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #38
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

I think the 33's are the perfect size for this lift. Looks like a Jeep should.

Update on the transmission issues. I limped it around for a while only driving it when I needed to. I was able to make it work without it being too jumpy, but essentially took the joy out of having a V8....even if it is the anemic 4.7L.

After much research, I had convinced myself I blew the accumulator plate off the shift solenoids. Took it to the shop that installed my lift and they tore into it. It wasn't long before they discovered that wasn't the issue. They dropped it out of the Jeep and began opening her up.

First thing they noted, the dealer who rebuilt the trans 18 months ago did a shotty job in rebuilding it. It was supposed to be a full rebuild, but evidence shows they pieced it together. The work was done under warranty, so I imagine they were cutting corners to gain more $$.

The most notable damage was the low gear clutch pack. The clutches had ZERO clutch material left!

The rundown they gave me was most likely the low gear clutches didn't have much left and when I got the High LIne Pressure code, it was because the trans was adding pressure until it maxed out and was continuing to slip....or something along those lines.

At the moment, I'm $1500 into parts and everything is getting replaced with new stuff. Clutches, solenoids, sensors, and I'm having a Trans-go shift kit put in. I am stoked to get the WK back. I've been driving my roommates JK (gray one in previous photos) and its driving me crazy. Street manners are terrible.

Here is the good stuff:

All the internals laid out.

Parts from the pan side.

Closer up on the internals.

The Empty case.

Unread 06-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #39
paroxysym
2007 WK 

that sucks man. while they have it out, why not throw a transgo shift kit in it or a sonnax line pressure booster on it to help firm up those shifts.

love the jeep- hope i can get a SL one day
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

I am having the trans-go shift kit put in. I'm going to pass on the Sonnax for the time being. I found in a lot of cases, after a certain model year, trans-go recomends you don't use the sonnax booster. I haven't talked to them personally on the matter though.

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #41
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedlizard72 View Post
I am having the trans-go shift kit put in. I'm going to pass on the Sonnax for the time being. I found in a lot of cases, after a certain model year, trans-go recomends you don't use the sonnax booster. I haven't talked to them personally on the matter though.
ooo well id love to hear some feedback on the trans-go once you get it installed. do you remember the model years that trans-go recommended not to install it on? i have one sitting in my room, just havent threw it on my 07.5
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #42
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

What is the trans-go shift kit?
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
What is the trans-go shift kit?
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...e?autoview=sku

theres cheaper prices out there, ive seen them for $40-$45
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #44
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

If I remember right, it was vehicles made after 2003/2004? If I get some spare time, I will give them a shout and get the scoop.

The Trans-go kits come in two varieties, the light version which can all be accessed through the oil pan. That version is the cheaper one and upgrades the accumulator plate along with a few solenoid springs and goodies. The bigger kit is usually around the $100 mark and comes with improved spring clips. This kit you have to pull the transmission to get everything on.

I should have it back Friday and will report.

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Seems like a lot of work man, hope it all comes back together asap, good luck with it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.