Twistedlizard72's Build and other Adventures - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Twistedlizard72's Build and other Adventures

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Twistedlizard72's Build and other Adventures

The serious modifications have begun! It's been a long time coming, but it feels good to get things under way.

I must note, the build will be slow going. I travel for work and have a million different hobbies that eat up funds.

I hope you all enjoy.

A little history, I started driving in an '80 CJ-5. Great Jeep, but it was my Dad's and he sold it before I could get into trouble with it. I ventured around with cars for a while and finally got back into a Jeep with an '01 XJ.

I got tired of the XJ and spontaneously upgraded to the '07 WK!

Video from that day!
http://vid71.photobucket.com/albums/...6075450615.mp4

One of my other hobbies.

The Superchips tuner was the first upgrade to go in.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

While on Deployment I coughed up the cash and bought a Superlift. Ordered May 22, 2012 from Kolak and parts started showing up the following November. Kolak was great and kept me informed as much as he could. Superlift ultimately was dragging their feet and had parts availability issues.

The last box finally showed up in February of 2013! Only thing missing from the kit was one rear brake relocation bracket. The shop fab'd up one to match and am good as gold.

Due to time restrictions and not having the proper tools, I sent the Jeep to a local All American Fabrication shop for the install. Things got underway pretty quick.

Before the teardown.

The following pics are of the progress as I saw it when I stopped by after work.

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Jeep was finished on March 22, 2013. I installed Rubicon take off's to get me by until some 33's come in.

On the first day I did some light trail duty. Man is it nice to have some ground clearance!

285/70 Goodyear Duratrac's should be in mid week!

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Looking awesome man! Everytime I see a superlifted WK I just want to save all my cash for one, but they are so damn expensive haha, keep up the good work!
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
05WKinPA
2005 WK 

I don't know which one I like more...the WK or the bike!
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Looks awesome bud So you should have the 285s on soon right? I plan to get in at least one more trip out to Pancake Rock before I deploy. You are only about 2.5 hours away if you would like to join us? So what else do you have planned the her?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
rubiconkid4x4
2007 WK 

Sweet rig, man. Those 32's look great in there for now!
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
seanmc
2008 WK 

looks awesome
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Omelet, 285's will be on Thursday or Friday. I think the overall goal is to build it like a Factory Rubicon WK would have been built. I think the next additions may be some engine add ons or JKS disconnects. Brakes may be a good idea too. along with some recovery points.

Let me know next time you head out. I'm unarmored, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Unread 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

looks good!
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Got the 285 Duratrac's on today. Holy Cadillac Batman!! This thing rides like butter sliding down a hot knife! Love it. Pictures coming once I get them loaded.

Unread 03-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Here are some more photos! Did I mention I love these tires? They are nearly silent!

So long 32's

While the wheels were off, I snapped some photos of the final set-up.
Rear

A nice surprise was that the shop welded the upper control arm brackets instead of the bolt rigging.

Front

Hello 285's! Really not much different from the 32's, they do fill in the front wheel wells a little better.

Rear stance. I think its got the "Jeep lean" to it even, thanks to the gas tank.

Side view with the 1.5" Spidertrax.

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WKinPA View Post
I don't know which one I like more...the WK or the bike!
That's one of the bikes, my "heavy hitter" Freeride rig. I have another Santa Cruz Super 8 that is built lighter as a DH race bike. Then got a Trek Fuel EX trail bike, that I think is going to be replaced soon with a 29er. I dig the older Downhill bikes because they are cheap! Although, sometimes a challenge to find parts for.

Unread 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedlizard72

That's one of the bikes, my "heavy hitter" Freeride rig. I have another Santa Cruz Super 8 that is built lighter as a DH race bike. Then got a Trek Fuel EX trail bike, that I think is going to be replaced soon with a 29er. I dig the older Downhill bikes because they are cheap! Although, sometimes a challenge to find parts for.
Those 2&5's looks sweet man! What say you sell me that fuel ex??? Hahaha
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Nice! I was planning on tack welding my rear brackets in place, but I don't want to completely weld them incase I need or want to return it to stock. Also the reason the 285s don't look much bigger is probably because they are only about 1/2" taller than the 255s. Still it does definitely look better!

I'm glad to see another mountain biker around here! I mostly do single track type trails around here with mine, but I love down hill. I currently ride a GT Sanction and I have an old Mountain Cycle San Andeas that I built back in high school.

Also if you are interested, I will be hitting up Pancake Rock down here on the 6th if you are interested in joining?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.