tuned crd vs 09 hemi - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > tuned crd vs 09 hemi

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
fordt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast View Post

fordt - $3.37 sound GREAT but I'd have to drive to Luling (no offense to anyone living there, but I find it hard to ignore the aroma)
Hah! Yep, but we are driving OIL burners, right? And besides, the way you'd go to get there, you could stop at some of the best BBQ in the state in Lockhart, not to mention Luling. BTW, went thru again today, but diesel is up to 3.46...and the MBRP is purring right along!

Unread 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

True, true! B5 went up a bit in So Austin too but still I get more miles/penny than lil bro in his WJ 4.7 V8
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think the diesels are awesome but I have been really happy with the hemi. I am not sure what kind of mileage the diesel gets either.

I am seeing about 14, or a touch better, pulling my 3000lb trailer, thats in the mountains of utah, not just flat highway. I see 16+ with the roof basket on cruising on the freeway at 75-80. I am sure minus the basket full of stuff and 65mph I would see another mpg or two.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I'd love to stuff a tuned Cummins into a WK....that would be the best setup, IMO. Get out of the way!!
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
I'd love to stuff a tuned Cummins into a WK....that would be the best setup, IMO. Get out of the way!!
I've seen a Cummins stuffed into a Wrangler. They had to stretch the frame
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #21
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

don't hold back - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car
(it runs on diesel.....)
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

If your looking at jeep for a tow vehicle after leaving what i assume was a HD you will be disappointed no matter the engine.

Diesel limited production. Limited mechanics. Limited parts=expensive parts. Work around fixes for known problems.

Hemi used in HD trucks for a reason. lifetime warranty available. Same 545rfe transmission used in HD lineup. Tried and true reliability and performance.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
enkeivette

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
My hemi tows great and has never had a problem even towing a two axle uhaul trailer. Smaller trailers with less weight and u forget anything is back there. Diesels require more maintenance and are expensive when something breaks IMO. In CA diesel is more expensive than super but you might make up for that in mpg
Where are you in CA? In So Cal diesel is cheaper than regular.
enkeivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

I love my CRD so far. Got it in June and have it set up to tow a 3500lb travel trailer or a 2500lb aluminum boat. Easily handles both.

My aunt had a 2006 or 2007 4.7 WK until last year when she upgraded to a WK2. I drove it across Ohio once and now that I have my CRD, I prefer the CRD. Torque and fuel economy are loads better and personally I don't have the best opinion of Chrysler engines and transmissions based on her past experiences with her WJ and Grand Caravans.

I too am biased as I'm from a Mercedes diesel background; my other car is a 1990 MB 300D 2.5. 154k on it and the OM602 engine burns no oil and is still perfect. They've always been amazing engines despite a few hiccups here and there. I got my dad into a E320 CDI with the OM648 3.2L straight 6 (the engine the OM642 replaced). It is pushing 110k miles and all it has needed was regular maintenance. Regularly returns 36-38mpg. Even got it to 40mpg once with A/C off and driving 60.

The transmission is essentially a Mercedes 722.6 which they have been making since the mid 90's. My dad's E320 uses it, the SLR McLaren uses it and so does the CRD. It's a really solid transmission that had been in production for 11-12 years by the time the US CRD's rolled off the line.

Parts for the engine aren't cheap, but we do have on our side the fact that all new Sprinters use an almost identical powertrain. Many common failures can also be taken care of by aftermarket tunes which also offer better and more efficient performance.
MBDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.