This is a build thread on how to get a fully inflated 265-70-17 (~32") to fit in the truck of a Wk standing up. The 265-70 is one of the more common sizes to run on the Wk/Xk. However, I did not want to grind down the rear hitch and put the tire in the stock location, nor throw it on the roof. All this is custom, so the measurments are ballpark...(eyeballing most of it)...This is more of a DIY for ideas. I'm not the first to do this, but it took a Saturday afternoon and about $50 from Home Depot.
First Step: You need to remove the rear trunk. In order to do this, you must first remove the plastic sill by the trunk latch. Pry it up *Carefully not to break the clips*. It may take some pressure but once one pops out, the rest follow.
After you remove the plastic sill, there are two nuts that are holding the trunk in place. They are located on either side of the truck latch, beneath the sill previously removed. Here is a picture of one of the nuts:
After removing the two nuts, the truck floor should slide out. Underneath there is a sound reducing mat. You can either leave the trunk floor out and get the tire in like this picture, or fabricate another floor leaving a "cut out" around where the tire will be.
Next Step: I used 2x4's to create a "rib" section for support. I used four pieces. Take measurments for length. *Note that the piece set behind the rear seats is taller to incorporate the small rise in the trunk. I followed the recessed edge where the stock trunk sat.
The piece that crosses where the trunk latch is needed a little more work. You may have to trim it down so it clears metal work around the latch.
Next Step: I used 3/4" Plywood (~44" width, ~40" length). I then cut a ~9 1/2" section width wise and connected them together with a 30" piano hinge. The hinge solves the problem where the trunk slightly rises behind the rear seats and adds storage like the original trunk had.
I placed the original trunk on the plywood and traced the outline, then cut it out.
I then cut off the excess wood where the plastic sill cover will go. Slightly curved.
The Next step takes patience and a good eyeball. I measured where the tire will go. *If the hole is too far back, the tire will hit the glass and the trunk won't close, too far foward and the tire will hit the rear seats. I used the left side (side with the hooks on the sidewall).
This part was trial and error, had to remove the wood and trim a little at a time, then test fit, etc.
After you get the tire location squared away, I took the rib section, cut the length accordingly (now with the tire hole in mind), added some wood glue and screwed them in place, from the bottom. *Make sure you don't screw the screws all the way through the plywood*.
After the wood glue dries, test fit. I then cut the small piece where the piano hinge ends and added a couple "L" brackets to hold that piece in place. (The panel would not open when the tire is there, hence why I used a 30" piane hinge.
I then drilled a place where I could get a few fingers in to pull up the panel.
Then, I went to Home Depot and picked up some indoor/outdoor carpet. The smallest size I could find was a 6x8'. However you only need a 4x4 piece. The rug I found matched the interior as closely as I could and costs $17.
Next I used contact cement. I guess you can use spray glue, however I thought this would have a stronger bond.
I covered the wood, liberally, espectially around the edges.
And on the bottom of the carpet as well
After about 15-20 minutes, I set the wood face down onto the carpet *ONCE THE 2 PIECES TOUCH, THE GLUE INSTANTLY BONDS, NO SECOND CHANCES, BE SLOW AND CAREFUL* Add pressure and smooth it out, especially the edges. I then flipped it over and cut the extra off.
Next I took the two black clips on the sidewall and drilled two small holes through them. Big enough to get the end of a bungie through:
I looped the bungie through the spokes, make sure it's nice and tight.
Snap the plastic sill back in and clean it!