Troubleshooting: Rough Idle with Noise -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Troubleshooting: Rough Idle with Noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Black Friday is coming...Sign up for our Newsletter NOW!!!

Unread 10-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
2010 WK 
Troubleshooting: Rough Idle with Noise

Here are the details:

I've got a 2010 Jeep WK 3.7L with about 65K

I picked it up used 5 months ago and about a month ago a noise developed under the hood.

(A) Rough idle and vibrations (evident in cabin and under hood)
(B) Tensioner bobbling/movement
(C) Intermittent rattling noise when engine is cold or warm at idle (drive, park or neutral)
(D) Idle is definitely smoother in park but still shows symptoms
(E) No fault codes to date
(F) steering wheel and pedal noise (could be paranoid now though)

So far:
(1) I replaced the tensioner assembly
Dealership service shop recommended and completed:
(2) replacement of spark plugs
(3) replacement of PCV
(4) flash of PCM
(5) flush of fuel system

The engine needed the (2) through (5) tune up because to my knowledge it wasn't done but it didn't resolve the issue.

The noise may be the tensioner but it's hard to isolate. I've suspected any of the pulley components due to the tensioner bobbling. When I remove the drive belt the noise does seem to go away (might be the tensioner making the noise). Regardless I don't think the tensioner is the problem (because I've replaced it)... I think it's a symptom of a different issue. Some of the pulleys aren't as smooth as others but none of them are locking up.

The sound isn't evident when accelerating or really driving at all so I feel like it's not an internal engine issue. The excess vibration challenges this thought though.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

baker97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.