Transmisson lines leaking? - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nejeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-27-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Crixus
2005 WK 

Transmisson lines leaking?

I was at the dealership getting a free oil change and as usual they did a full evaluation upon my request. Everything is fine except the front shocks are getting a bit worn but more importantly the transmission lines are leaking or something. How serious is this? Is it common for an 11 year old WK? 110K miles.

I was only half paying attention to the mechanic when he explained it (mechanical stuff really just goes in one ear out the other with me) but he recommends I have it repaired asap. What does this entail? I think it was quoted at $200 for the work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2016, 03:33 PM
tom19511
2006 WK 

You can see if they are leaking, anything on the ground?
You don't want to let it go on long.
Unfortunately common on these WK's
200 is about right for a dealer line swap.
Try an independent transmission shop have them check and/or replaced if leaking. Probably save 50 bucks or more.

Tom
tchristopher1@twc.com
2006 G.C.65th Anniv. Edition
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2016, 05:01 PM
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

It is common.

Get it replaced asap

Black WK Club #152
post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2016, 07:27 PM
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

True, this is a very common problem with the WK's. If they're out and out leaking definitely get it fixed ASAP. If they're just seeping a repair isn't necessarily that urgent. I drove mine for a couple years with seeping lines (never put a drop on the ground that I saw), keeping an eye on it every time I opened the hood. Your fix options are, replace the lines with new lines (a PITA), R and R the lines (still a PITA) and have new hoses swaged on by a hydraulic repair facility (this is what I did....cost about $15), or cut the hoses off with them in place and replace them with oil resistant hose and double hose clamp them (at each end) in place. Many folks chose this option because it is the least expensive and apparently yields good results. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem by doing it this way. In any case, ALWAYS be sure the transmission fluid level is correct with the transmission FULLY warmed up.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

Wouldn't that just be the o-ring leaking?

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2016, 05:59 AM
Nejeep

The only o-rings are on the connector at the trans cooler in front of the radiator which rarely leak. The short hoses on each cooler line with the crimp connections are the usual problem. I did the third method, cut out the crimps and replaced them with suitable bulk trans hose. Cost about $20 in materials and couple of hours of my time.
luckyse7ens likes this.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #7 of 7 Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango. View Post
Wouldn't that just be the o-ring leaking?
The rubber portion of the line underneath the radiator support has a tendency to weep.

Black WK Club #152

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.