Transmission won't engage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission won't engage?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Curtis Doran
Frigid Jeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Transmission won't engage?

So I have had my 05 WK for about 3 weeks now without any problems. This morning (first snowfall, so a little cold) my girlfriend got in the jeep to go to work and ran into some problems.

She put it in reverse and backed to the end of the driveway, when she put it in drive, all it did was rev and did not engage. She tried reverse and it did the same thing. As if she was in neutral. I came out and placed it in drive and gave it a little extra gas. the transmission engaged lightly and the jeep moved forward with a loud whirring noise. It was as though the park brake were stuck and I was forcing it overpower the brake, but the brake was not actually on. (nor has it even been used since i got the jeep). I shut down the engine and then restarted. This time when I put it in drive, it went into 3rd gear only but the same problem was going on. In either reverse or drive (3rd) I had to get the rpms close to 3000 to get it engage. No warning lights or notifications.

On a possibly related note, sometimes when I have been driving for a while, when i stop and shift to park, the shifter feels harder to push into and out of park, as if synchros are not aligning, if that makes sense. any ideas on that? perhaps a bad shifter assembly, as I noticed during search that someone on the forum experienced?

Any ideas? I'm calling Chrysler now to get my power train warranty transferred, as I assume this is gonna be pricey?

Thanks in advance!

Curtis Doran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Definitely get that warranty transferred if you can.

I'm going to guess it's the shifter assembly (which is all electronic) probably malfunctioning and not telling the Jeep what gear to go in. But, it could be something else, too...

Do you get any lights or codes on the dash?
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Curtis Doran
Frigid Jeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

No lights or codes...

Is the shifter assembly part of the power train warranty?
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Not sure, but I would hope so! You need it working properly to get it into gear and drive the stinking think! :-P
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Curtis Doran
Frigid Jeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

So should I have it towed or will I be able to limp it to the garage? I'm assuming that when it goes into 3rd gear it is in limp mode?
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

I would do whatever you feel is best to get it in to the dealer...you could probably limp it if it's not too far and you can drive slow. Just remember if you do have it towed, it has to be on a flatbed unless you have QT/QD-II and still have the ability to put the T-Case in neutral.
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
just put it in drive and and knock the shifter sideways as if changing up and down. I second that the fault is most likely the shifter (gearbox saying one thing, shifter saying another) just thinking it's the micro switches and if you use then it may start working.
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Curtis Doran
Frigid Jeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I disconnected the negative terminal and it cleared the 0700 code and gave me slightly better engagement...it got me to the garage and I left it with them to figure out. They said they have replaced alot of shifters in wks around here. Only time will tell I guess, I will update with what i find out!
Unread 09-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Curtis Doran
Frigid Jeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

so...for anyone interested in an outcome...the service garage checked out the wk with the computer and got an "internal gear ratio error" and the recommended solution was that a dealership had to take a look. The nearest dealership to me is 650 km (over a two lane gravel road) away. This sucks. I can call roadside assistance and they will cover a flatbed towing to my "nearest" dealership but will not cover the return trip... I spoke to a dealer in sept isle, quebec that said if I can get my vehicle to him (there is a mining railroad from my town to sept isle that will take vehicles for mine employees), he can get it repaird within a month. This also sucks but at least the train will bring the vehicle back once it's repaired.

Has anyone experianced "internal gear ratio" problems? The service guy at the dealership said it sounded like the jeep would need a complete transmission overhaul...This actually sounds like good news to me since I'm going to be without my jeep for 3 - 4 weeks and the power train warranty ends in 3000km so at least the tranny should be like new...

ughhh....
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
shmebbr6
2005 WK 

just happened to my jeep

I just got my 05wk 4.7 limited, used a few weeks ago, I've been paying really close attention to the tranny since I've read a lot about clunking and other issues. I haven't noticed anything wrong and then today I got this same problem, I was idling through the apartment gate and then, As I pressed the gas pedal I had no gear only loud noise like a 2 stroke pocket bike. Caught by surprise, I turned the ignition off and restarted and it worked fine. I idled around the complex trying to replicate the issue to no avail.

Whats the deal anyone?

thanks
shmebbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Curtis Doran
Frigid Jeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry I can't help further. I sold my wk after the tranny was rebuilt...
=
2006 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.