Transmission/TCase Jerking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission/TCase Jerking

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
oneunder
2006 WK 

Transmission/TCase Jerking

Hey all.

06 Laredo Wk with the QD2 and the 545rfe (I believe).

My symptoms are this. When driving along, could be 65mph, or it could be 30 mph, there is what seems to be a jerk from what seems to be the front passenger side. It is almost as if the jeep comes out of gear, and then goes back into gear. RPMs do go up, and then back down to the load rpm it was at before the jerk happens.

I have changed the fluid in the transmission, and put 2 new filters in it. I was carefull not to overfill. The symptoms persists. I have also changed the fluid in teh tcase last year.

Any thoughts? I know it vague. Its my wifes DD, and I am getting as much info as I can from her. Of course whenever I drive it, it doesnt happen. I have even had her drive it with me as a passenger and it doesn't exhibit the symptoms as often as I would like to get a good idea what is going on.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions are all welcome. Oh, and all recalls and TSB have been fulfilled on the Jeep

Unread 07-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
oneunder
2006 WK 

I got some more info on it. Apparently the idle was all over the place (I really rarely drive the Jeep). So I threw some parts at it and replaced the IAC and the TPS. Idle was spot on, and I couldnt get it to jerk/clunk act all funky.
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

If you have a gas powered wk with qdii then you have the 545rfe transmission . make sure you only use atf+4 in the trans and nv245 fluid in the transfer case .also diff's will need 75w140 with 4 oz of friction modifier to work properly.
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
esoxhntr
2008 WK 

it was more than llikely the TPS. not a bad idea to change the IAC either. went through two TPSs several years apart in my WJ with same symptoms. on the WJ it was recommended to go with mopar parts as the aftermarket parts had a history of premature failures, not sure about WK.
esoxhntr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
oneunder
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
If you have a gas powered wk with qdii then you have the 545rfe transmission . make sure you only use atf+4 in the trans and nv245 fluid in the transfer case .also diff's will need 75w140 with 4 oz of friction modifier to work properly.
All my fluids came from the dealer and was checked via the vin. Thanks. I must have remember incorrectly. But I thought wkjeeps.com said I had the w5a580. I will edit my initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxhntr View Post
it was more than llikely the TPS. not a bad idea to change the IAC either. went through two TPSs several years apart in my WJ with same symptoms. on the WJ it was recommended to go with mopar parts as the aftermarket parts had a history of premature failures, not sure about WK.
We will see about the aftermarket stuff, which is what I went with. I got both parts for sub-100 bucks, which is why I just did both of them. They also carry a lifetime warranty, which I guess makes it a little better. But in any case, thanks for the heads up.
Unread 07-29-2014, 03:28 AM   #6
unobtanium
2010 WK 

When did they stop using the throttle position sensors on jeeps? My 2010 doesn't have one according to Rock Auto's catalog. Interesting.
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
oneunder
2006 WK 

That I do no know Uno. The 4.7 has a TPS, but the 5.7 might have a driveby wire. My 06 Magnum uses the drive by wire. Both the 5.7 and the 6.1 in that year (for the cars) use it.
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Ah, yes, mine is drive by wire. I was not so "mechanically into" this purchase, and "it is what it is" is kindof how I viewed it, so I have not done as much research into what makes the HEMI tick as I should. before I bought, I just googled if they blew up or not, basically, and I know they do fine in the cop cars around here.
Unread Yesterday, 08:51 AM   #9
oneunder
2006 WK 

An update.

The wife went to work and there wasn't a hint of jerking/clunking/strange revving or idle issues on the way. I believe that one of the parts, IAC or teh TPS sensor fixed the issue. Frankly, I dont care which one did it, but replacing them both seemed to have worked.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.