Transmission Shift Module?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission Shift Module??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Reply
Unread 09-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
ItsMeKO3
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, NY
Posts: 504
Transmission Shift Module??

Had the dealer look at my Jeep yesterday because my check engine light came on last week. Not sure what the exact code was, but my brother in law told me I am going to need a new Transmission Shift Module. I'm not exactly sure what this does, or anything about it. He said he doesn't think it needs to be done immediately, but the part is like $800. The CEL went off the day after it came on, and it seems to be driving alright. Anyone else have any issue or know anything about this? Thanks.

__________________
2007 JK
ItsMeKO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
JackB1
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ocean Pines, Md
Posts: 147
I do not but would be interested in hearing how many miles are on your WK.
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
ItsMeKO3
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, NY
Posts: 504
Just hit 105K.

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
__________________
2007 JK
ItsMeKO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
nostaw22
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hollis, NH
Posts: 400
I had the transmission shift module go on my '07 WK (about 18 mo ago?), with less than 30k mi on it. Was covered by my Chrysler extended service agreement, so a rental was provided and it only cost me $100, but I think they said it was ~$800 for the part.

As I recall, the circumstances were:

GF was driving the WK (is her DD) when it happened and I wasn't there. Said she drove down our street and through a big puddle of standing water (which usually collected due to drainage issues, is 2-4" deep), stopped at a stop sign and the CEL came on / vehicle went into limp mode.

She called me because "it wasn't driving right" (e.g. limp mode) and I had her take it straight to the dealer nearby... rest is history.

JW
__________________
1998 XJ - built for offroading
2007 WK CRD - DashHawk, for towing the XJ
nostaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
ItsMeKO3
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, NY
Posts: 504
Wow that's weird. Unfortunately mines not covered under any warranty. Its still driving fine, so I guess it hasn't **** the bed yet. Have you had any issues since it was replaced? Doubtful because you only had 30K on it. I'm just concerned that if I replace it, is this going to be the beginning of transmission problems...?

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
__________________
2007 JK
ItsMeKO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
nostaw22
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hollis, NH
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 View Post
Wow that's weird. Unfortunately mines not covered under any warranty. Its still driving fine, so I guess it hasn't **** the bed yet. Have you had any issues since it was replaced? Doubtful because you only had 30K on it. I'm just concerned that if I replace it, is this going to be the beginning of transmission problems...?

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
No issues (with the transmission) since the TSM was replaced. The factory warranty may have covered it, not the extended one, but I don't remember for sure. It may have been more like ~2 yrs ago, now that I think about it.

WK has ~45k mi on it now. We got this WK in spring '09 with ~850 mi on it, which is why it has very low mileage for its age. We have been putting 10k-12k mi / yr on it since we got it.

JW
__________________
1998 XJ - built for offroading
2007 WK CRD - DashHawk, for towing the XJ
nostaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,434
Here's some info on the TCM from the Service Manual:
(Ignore if not interested)

The transmission control module (TCM) (1) is mounted to the dash panel (2), under the dash panel silencer pad, just to the right of the steering column.

The electronic control system consists of various components providing inputs to the TCM. The TCM monitors transmission sensors, shifter assembly, and bus messages to determine transmission shift strategy. After shift strategies are determined, the TCM controls the actuation of transmission solenoids, which controls the routing of hydraulic fluid within the transmission, by moving a sequence of four valves to make a shift occur.

The system performs its functions based on continuous real-time sensor feedback information. In addition the TCM receives information from the rest of the vehicle over the CAN C bus. The CAN C bus is a high-speed communication bus that allows real time control capability between various controllers. Most messages are sent every 20 milliseconds. This means critical information can be shared between the transmission, engine, and ABS controllers. The CAN C bus is a two wire bus with a CAN C Bus (+) circuit and a CAN C Bus (-) circuit. These circuits are twisted pairs in the harness to reduce the potential of radio and noise interference.

The transmission control system automatically adapts to changes in engine performance, vehicle speed, and transmission temperature variations to provide consistent shift quality. The control system ensures that clutch operation during up-shifting and downshifting is more responsive without increased harshness. The TCM activates the solenoid valves and moves valves in the valve body to achieve the necessary gear changes. The required pressure level is calculated from the load condition, engine speed. Vehicle speed (from ABS module) and transmission oil temperature, matched to the torque to be transmitted. Power for the transmission system is supplied through the shifter mechanism (no transmission control relay).
______________

Is the above what you are referring to? Did you get paperwork back from the dealer, but it doesn't show which code?
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
ItsMeKO3
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, NY
Posts: 504
I didn't get any paperwork so I don't have any codes. My brother in law is a salesman at the dealership, so he took it for me one day and had them look at it. There was probably no paperwork because I think they did it off the books. Probably on one of the guys lunch break, just to see what the CEL was on for. It had been driving fine before the light, and still driving fine now. So we decided not to do anything about it right now.

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
__________________
2007 JK
ItsMeKO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
robpp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Here's some info on the TCM from the Service Manual:
(Ignore if not interested)

The transmission control module (TCM) (1) is mounted to the dash panel (2), under the dash panel silencer pad, just to the right of the steering column.

The electronic control system consists of various components providing inputs to the TCM. The TCM monitors transmission sensors, shifter assembly, and bus messages to determine transmission shift strategy. After shift strategies are determined, the TCM controls the actuation of transmission solenoids, which controls the routing of hydraulic fluid within the transmission, by moving a sequence of four valves to make a shift occur.

The system performs its functions based on continuous real-time sensor feedback information. In addition the TCM receives information from the rest of the vehicle over the CAN C bus. The CAN C bus is a high-speed communication bus that allows real time control capability between various controllers. Most messages are sent every 20 milliseconds. This means critical information can be shared between the transmission, engine, and ABS controllers. The CAN C bus is a two wire bus with a CAN C Bus (+) circuit and a CAN C Bus (-) circuit. These circuits are twisted pairs in the harness to reduce the potential of radio and noise interference.

The transmission control system automatically adapts to changes in engine performance, vehicle speed, and transmission temperature variations to provide consistent shift quality. The control system ensures that clutch operation during up-shifting and downshifting is more responsive without increased harshness. The TCM activates the solenoid valves and moves valves in the valve body to achieve the necessary gear changes. The required pressure level is calculated from the load condition, engine speed. Vehicle speed (from ABS module) and transmission oil temperature, matched to the torque to be transmitted. Power for the transmission system is supplied through the shifter mechanism (no transmission control relay).
______________

Is the above what you are referring to? Did you get paperwork back from the dealer, but it doesn't show which code?
'



thats awesome. but its his SHIFT MODULE not CONTROL MODULE. read the OP/


the shift MODULE is the shifter itself and its housing.......the thing that you move to different letters that makes the jeep go LOL



and look who is posting/ WTF no wonder these things are as they are <smh>
__________________
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
robpp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 View Post
I didn't get any paperwork so I don't have any codes. My brother in law is a salesman at the dealership, so he took it for me one day and had them look at it. There was probably no paperwork because I think they did it off the books. Probably on one of the guys lunch break, just to see what the CEL was on for. It had been driving fine before the light, and still driving fine now. So we decided not to do anything about it right now.

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum

hey OP
its the shifter itself. is you try a search you should find lots of posts on cleaning the contacts and boards inside the shifter. all you need is contact cleaner ($8 at THD) and some basic tools.
__________________
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
ItsMeKO3
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, NY
Posts: 504
Alright I'll have to see if I can find anything through a search. I googled it and read a couple people saying that's what they had done. Hopefully it'll take care of the problem. Thanks Rob.
__________________
2007 JK
ItsMeKO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
'


thats awesome. but its his SHIFT MODULE not CONTROL MODULE. read the OP/
sorry - glad you guys are paying attention...

Definitely not a technician/engineer here (and never claimed to be)
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
robpp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 View Post
Alright I'll have to see if I can find anything through a search. I googled it and read a couple people saying that's what they had done. Hopefully it'll take care of the problem. Thanks Rob.


no guarantee but for less than 10 bux and some time its worth a shot.
__________________
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
ItsMeKO3
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, NY
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp

no guarantee but for less than 10 bux and some time its worth a shot.
Absolutely. Thanks again man.

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
__________________
2007 JK
ItsMeKO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.