Transmission rebuilt prices 3.7L vs 4.7L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission rebuilt prices 3.7L vs 4.7L

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
jeeplover8

Transmission rebuilt prices 3.7L vs 4.7L

Ok, I have transmission issues on my 06 Grand Cherokee and my mechanic says I need a rebuild..... but anyways.

He originally quoted me $1600 to fix it... then later in the day he called me up and said oh I made a mistake I though your car was the 4.7L and the price I quoted you earlier is no good because the Grand Cherokee I have is the 3.7L version. Its gonna now cost $2700 for the transmission for the 3.7L Grand Cherokee.

His reasoning is that the 3.7L 06 Grand Cherokee uses a Mercedes transmission which is why the price is more expensive.

Now is he bull****ting me? or does the transmission for the 3.7 really a thousand dollars more than the 4.7L.

Thoughts?

jeeplover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
gigatigga
2005 WK 

Not to hijack your thread, but what issues were you having with your transmission to prompt you to see if it needed repaired?
gigatigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
jeeplover8

Gotten to the point where my engine would rev but the car would not move... forward or back. Basically it would not engage in any gear.
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Devilsmed98
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can look here for more info: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Engines

And yes your transmission started out as a Mercedes one in 1995 sedans.
~Black WK Club Member #9~
2011 WKII Overland
2007 WK Limited[/COLOR]
1995 YJ Rio Grande
Devilsmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

does the indicator light up the P R N D etc light up? Could be the controle module for the transmission.

Have you checked the fluid level? The 3.7l tranny has been know to leak fluid at an electrical connection. There is a TSB on this issue that can be found at WKJeeps.com
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
scottina06WK

www.car-part.com is your friend

I just had a friend lose his transfer case and was quoted $2200 to fix it. he found a super low mile case on car-part for $135 and then had a mechanic install it for $350. Saved him a ton of money. there should be plenty of the A580 trannies on car-part.com

Last edited by scottina06WK; 01-05-2010 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: meant a580 instead of np140
scottina06WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
jeeplover8

That engine/transmission fail light was on
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
gigatigga
2005 WK 

what behavior other than the light were you experiencing? Slow shifts? hard shifts? slipping? I'm wondering because i'm trying to gauge the life of my transmission. I have the hemi so its different, but i'm pretty ignorant to what a showing sign of a failing transmission is.

Thanks
gigatigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
TheTrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplover8 View Post
Ok, I have transmission issues on my 06 Grand Cherokee and my mechanic says I need a rebuild..... but anyways.

He originally quoted me $1600 to fix it... then later in the day he called me up and said oh I made a mistake I though your car was the 4.7L and the price I quoted you earlier is no good because the Grand Cherokee I have is the 3.7L version. Its gonna now cost $2700 for the transmission for the 3.7L Grand Cherokee.

His reasoning is that the 3.7L 06 Grand Cherokee uses a Mercedes transmission which is why the price is more expensive.

Now is he bull****ting me? or does the transmission for the 3.7 really a thousand dollars more than the 4.7L.

Thoughts?
The A580 is significantly more expensive to fix versus the 545RFE. And yes it is because of Mercedes. A big difference is the A580 has a separate TCM while the 545RFE TCM functions are in the PCM (so already the A580 has more electronics).

In general I find the A580 transmission to be rather annoying and crappy.
TheTrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrot View Post
The A580 is significantly more expensive to fix versus the 545RFE. And yes it is because of Mercedes. A big difference is the A580 has a separate TCM while the 545RFE TCM functions are in the PCM (so already the A580 has more electronics).

In general I find the A580 transmission to be rather annoying and crappy.
Tell me about it. It's the only thing I cannot stand about my WK. This transmission shifts TOO SOFT, TOO EARLY, and downshifts TOO MUCH. Half the time I don't even need to downshift, it does it anyway. I try to ignore it but at least it works..... sigh.....
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
jeeplover8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatigga View Post
what behavior other than the light were you experiencing? Slow shifts? hard shifts? slipping? I'm wondering because i'm trying to gauge the life of my transmission. I have the hemi so its different, but i'm pretty ignorant to what a showing sign of a failing transmission is.

Thanks
My transmision didn't wear out, so sorry if I could not have been of more help.

I simply hit something and broke the bottom of the transmsission and all the tranny fluid leaked out, i was on the highway and did not know what the issue was at the time so I continued going till my car stopped moving and I had to get it towed.

I know its a transmission failure because after i got it towed to my mechanic he looked at the car and did what he needed to do to diagnose it and the conclusion was that I needed to fix my transmission (rebuild/replace).

Anyways back ON topic which is the price of replacing the 3.7L transmission and is what I being charged what it usually really cost or am I being ripped off.
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
justa4banger
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
Tell me about it. It's the only thing I cannot stand about my WK. This transmission shifts TOO SOFT, TOO EARLY, and downshifts TOO MUCH. Half the time I don't even need to downshift, it does it anyway. I try to ignore it but at least it works..... sigh.....
Hmm thats funny, i have none of those issues with my Mercedes tranny.....Oh maybe cause i have the trq to actually move the GC... unlike the whimpy 3.7....

Also the SRT8 guys aren;t having any major issues... they use the same transmission... Myabe a Valve body from Builderbill will help the sluggish shifting...

Honestly. i think it just has more to do with the 3.7 in front of the tranny.. Seriously i think these tranny is pretty good. it does get confused at times and take moment to shift, shifts are soft (this is a luxuary SUV) but otherwise it does its job fine. i have never ran into an issue with downshifting to early, or excessive shifting even when towing... Once again though the diesel makes trq.. something the 3.7 lacks.
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Yay, more 3.7L bashing. Very welcome indeed.

The downshifting, you do have a slight point, but I've driven every engine with the W5A580 and I've noticed no difference. Besides the downshifting, the other points I've made still apply. Still.... the transmission still downshifts when it doesn't absolutely NEED to.
Unread 01-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
justa4banger
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
Yay, more 3.7L bashing. Very welcome indeed.

The downshifting, you do have a slight point, but I've driven every engine with the W5A580 and I've noticed no difference. Besides the downshifting, the other points I've made still apply. Still.... the transmission still downshifts when it doesn't absolutely NEED to.
Hey i have to pick on someone.... today was your day...

I will say this.. look at the Cherokee SRT8 forums and find a guy SN BuilderBill. he rebuilds these tranny's and makes them tough, like 800AWHP tough if you were to need it. he also has a revised valvebody to improve the shifting... i've considered one for my GC...only concern he has not yet tested his VB for the tranny behind a Diesel..

as for the excessive downshifting, i don't see/feel it.. it doesn't seem to shift to early for my driving... YES IT DOES shift softly/sluggish. but that is a relative complaint... older people may say it doesn't shift seamlessly enough
It seems to me the tranny shifts exactly the same regardless of what engine is infront of it, but for the less powerfull engines, chrysler should have done a TCM revision...oh well too late for all of that.
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

These (personal) complaints aren't enough for me to trade or sell.... I'd lose my lifetime powertrain. Excessive downshifting, I think you were right, won't happen with the diesel. I wish there was a REAL Autostick so I could put a stop to that.... not this "Electronic Range Select" crap.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.