Transmission Problem? Stays in one gear, won't shift, no response from autostick... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission Problem? Stays in one gear, won't shift, no response from autostick...

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Triplecrown
2006 WK 

Transmission Problem? Stays in one gear, won't shift, no response from autostick...

When I went to drive my 06 WK, 3.7, 4x4 and as I began driving, I noticed the rpm's climbing and it did not shift, and seemed like it was 'stuck' in whatever gear it was in. The 'autostick' had no response either. I do not believe it was in limp mode, because only the [D] was lit up. But like I said, when I went to manually switch the gears with the 'autostick' - It would not move out of [D]. It would not manually shift to : [4], [3], [2] or [1].

I pulled over and turned the engine off for a minute. When I started it back up, everything seemed normal. You would never know that something was potentially wrong a few moments prior. For the most part, it drives fine, but it has done this twice in as many days.

No CEL/MIL have came on. For the heck of it, even though no lights came on, I used my scan tool and pulled codes: P2767 and P0710. Very strange, since no CEL came on! I do not know if these are old stored codes, and I'm leaning towards they are not. I just had the Shift Bezel/ESM replaced and I'm sure the dealer cleared all codes.

Any help, advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks for reading and/or replying!!!

-Tom

Triplecrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
bhawks28
2009 WK 

I unfortunately can't offer much input, but your problem reminds me of an older thread I read a while back:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...engage-858106/
His symptoms sound somewhat similar to yours. It says he got code P0700 which I just googled and saw it's a generic trans code that needs to be read by the dealer. Unfortunately the guy in that thread had to have his trans rebuilt!

Also, I just googled the code P0710 that you mentioned (although you probably already did this) and found another thread that matches your symptoms. It's over at jeep garage dot org /f5/transmission-problem-need-help-19811.html
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
JeepCares

Here's info from the FSM - ignore if not interested:

P0710-TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT

Theory of Operation
The Electrohydraulic Control Unit Assembly of the NAG1 transmission contains a temperature sensor to monitor the transmission oil temperature. This sensor is wired in series with the transmission Park/Neutral switch. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) expects to see a valid voltage level from the sensor when the shifter is in Reverse or any forward Drive position. The TCM also expects to see an open circuit condition when the shifter is in the Park or Neutral position. When the controller detects an open circuit when in Reverse or any forward drive position the DTC will set. Note: Due to a open circuit condition in Park or Neutral, the TCM substitutes the Transmission Temperature reading with Engine Temperature when in Park or Neutral
When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on.
Set Condition:
When the TCM detects an open circuit when in Reverse or any forward drive position the DTC will set.

Possible Causes
SHIFT LEVER ASSEMBLY OUT OF ADJUSTMENT
(T54) TEMPERATURE SENSOR-P/N SWITCH SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T54) TEMPERATURE SENSOR-P/N SWITCH SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(T54) TEMPERATURE SENSOR-P/N SWITCH SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO OTHER CIRCUITS
(T54) TEMPERATURE SENSOR-P/N SWITCH SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT(S)
SHIFT LEVER ASSEMBLY
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)

P2767-INPUT SPEED SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT NO SIGNAL

Theory of Operation
The Input Speed Sensor 2 (N3) is one of two hall effect speed sensors that are used by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to calculate the transmissions turbine speed. Since the turbine speed could not be measured directly, two of the drive elements are measured. Two input speed sensors are required because both elements are not active in all gears.
When Monitored:
Engine speed greater than 450 RPM with none of the following DTCs present: engine speed, TCM undervoltage, output speed sensor, and/or rear wheel speed DTCs. Also required are all wheel speeds above 250 RPM and no wheel slip detected (signal from the ABS system).
Set Condition:
If the Input Speed Sensor 2 (N3) signal is equal to 0 RPM.

Possible Causes
(T72) SENSOR SUPPLY VOLTAGE CIRCUIT OPEN
(T71) INPUT SPEED SENSOR 2 (N3) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T71) SPEED SENSOR 2 (N3) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT
(T13) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
(T13) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT SHORTED TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT
(T71) SPEED SENSOR 2 (N3) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(T13) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
INPUT SPEED SENSOR 2 (N3)
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.