Transmission Part Number? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission Part Number?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Nejeep

Transmission Part Number?

Does anyone have the part number for the upgraded O-ring seal for the wire harness on the W5A580 transmission? I just discovered a leak that looks like its coming from there and I hear its a fairly easy fix with the right parts.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

68021352AA
It's acutally a whole plug. I got mine from the dealer for about $10.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Nejeep

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get one on order.
Next question is how much if any, ATF do you loose when the plug is changed?

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Drew
2007 WK 

Not much fluid loss at all. Most of the fluid loss is what gets trapped in the plug assembly. When you change it drive the jeep up on ramps, with both ramps on the right side. This will give you better access and help minimize fluid loss. When I did mine I bought a quart of atf4 just in case....probably added more like a cup of fluid.
One note: Be super careful tightening up that small bolt inside the plug. I can see how it would be super easy to snap it off or damage the plug. It only needs to be snug to keep the plastic housing in place.
Good Luck
Doug
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Nejeep

Thanks guys.
Now if the weather will give me a break so I dont freeze my fingers or any other body parts off

Unread 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Nejeep

Ok guys - gotterdone tonite - transmission plug adaptor changed. No frostbite either.
Here are a couple of more tips in case someone searchs for this.
I dont have ramps so I jacked up the right front corner about 4 inches to provide space for my wide body. I also pumped out about 1 quart of ATF via the fill tube just to make sure there wasnt a flood when I pulled out the old plug. Dont know how necessary that was, but I wanted to keep track of all the ATF since I dont have a dipstick. There was no leakage when I pulled out the old plug.

There is a small heat shield over the plug held on by two 10mm bolts. Actually you only need to remove the bottom bolt. The top bolt is holding a spring clip that slips over the heat shield. Of course I didnt discover that until I took out both bolts. Top one is a pain to reinstall so leave it alone.

The electrical plug is locked into the adaptor by a quarter turn ring with a tab for leverage. The old ring was really stuck on mine. I couldnt budge it by hand so I finally got a small vice grip on it for more leverage. Thought it was going to snap off but it finally let loose.

There is a 7mm locking bolt inside the adaptor that has to be backed out before the plug adaptor will come out of the transmission. You cant see it unless you use a mirror, but if you know it there you can easily loosen it with a socket.

The new plug adaptor fits very tight due to the larger o-rings, so its a bit of a challenge to get seated in the transmission. Once you get it far enough in then you can tighten the 7mm bolt to finish pulling it in. Did I mention there is not much room to work with the exhaust system right next to the plug? You definately want to do this job with a cool exhaust.

Anyway it took me about 2 hours start to finish (1.5 hrs taking apart and 0.5 hrs back together ).

Unread 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Drew
2007 WK 

Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.