transmission over temp message - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > transmission over temp message

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
stanton3
2007 WK 

transmission over temp message

New to the forum and have a few questions about my wk. Its a 07 3.7 laredo 4x4 with no mods on it yet.

About 2 weeks ago i went to start my car after not driving it for a few hours and it wouldnt turn over at all and it gave me the message tranmission over temp. It was around 50 outside. Got it to start after 2 days of trying and drove it to the dealer, they checked it, couldnt find anything, codes or any other problems, but it would start up fine for them. Since i got it back it hasnt failed to start again, but still getting the transmission over temp flash when i turn the key, but then goes off.

Any ideas what this is and any idea how to fix it? I'm still kind of scared to take it anywhere far away because it is still saying the message.

Thanks for any help.

stanton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I'd like to tell you that there is an explanation or even a fix for this problem, but sadly many of us have been dealing with it and have just started ignoring it. If your Jeep won't start, your best bet is to try to replicate it while at the dealer. I know this is not an ideal suggestion, but getting them to work on it when it is not acting up is going to be near impossible.
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Your Jeep not starting has nothing to do with the "TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP" message.

It's an erroneous message, and like johnniebravo said, just ignore it. Sounds like you have a bad starter though.
Unread 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
stanton3
2007 WK 

Happened again today, wont even try to turn over, jumped it off and nothing. This car did come from up north so it is kind of rusted, i was thinking that maybe the connections are rusted on the starter and not letting it get any battery power.

Anyone have any ideas, stuck in a parking lot for now till it decides to crank again.

Still a bad starter?
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
chris08wk
2008 WK 

unfortunatley im from up north as in Canada lots of snow and salt and my 08 WK has been here its whole life and NO rus on anything yet especially on electrical connections
chris08wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Walt
2008 WK 

Have two free suggestions you can do yourself. [They may be worth what you paid to get them.] I'm not that familiar with the 3.7L under-hood layout.

Several members have reported loose or corroded cable connections on the positive side of the starter. After you disconnect the ground cable on the battery, remove or loosen the positive cable to be sure there is not a high resistance fault (ie, corrosion products built up between the starter wire and the connecting point on the starter). Alternatively, just remove, clean, re-attach.

For transmission, same consideration. Find the transmission temperature switch and look at the plug-in connector for an accumulation of corrosion products. Clean both sides of the connection with electronic cleaner and apply dielectric grease before re-connecting.

Have fun lying on your back. A large piece of cardboard helps.........

Let us know how it turns out.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
Silent_Driver

For transmission, same consideration. Find the transmission temperature switch and look at the plug-in connector for an accumulation of corrosion products. Clean both sides of the connection with electronic cleaner and apply dielectric grease before re-connecting.

Have fun lying on your back. A large piece of cardboard helps.........

Let us know how it turns out. [/QUOTE]

I'm looking under my car,bud i dont find that connector .So let my now where this connector are located.... on jeep gc 3.0 crd WH european version.

Thanks
Silent_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

^ That won't fix it. The issue is programming, not the sensor or corrosion.
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
stanton3
2007 WK 

Got it towed to dealer after a few days of not cranking. They said it was a bad starter too. Got it back yesterday and is acting fine.
Unread 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

Does anybody actually get trans over temp light when the trans temp is actually over the temp?
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
chris08wk
2008 WK 

yes it showed up on mine when i was stuck one time on my 3.7
chris08wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Bates10

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has left me stranded 4 times in less than a month. It won't start and the message center says transmission over temp. Radio, Lights all over so i don't think it could be the battery. Its been to a town garage, and a dealership. They reset the ECM, and still didn't help. Called Chrysler, No Help. This is suppose to be my "dependable vehicle". It has 77k miles, and the warranty just ran up a few months ago. Please if anyone has found a permanent fix to this problem PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE email me at samjooakley@yahoo.com.
Bates10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
oducks12
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates10 View Post
I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has left me stranded 4 times in less than a month. It won't start and the message center says transmission over temp. Radio, Lights all over so i don't think it could be the battery. Its been to a town garage, and a dealership. They reset the ECM, and still didn't help. Called Chrysler, No Help. This is suppose to be my "dependable vehicle". It has 77k miles, and the warranty just ran up a few months ago. Please if anyone has found a permanent fix to this problem PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE email me at samjooakley@yahoo.com.
WK's are known to act very strangely when the battery is getting low. I would highly recommend getting your battery tested. Autozone or similar place will do it for free. At least it's worth a shot
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
oducks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Bates10

I took my battery to O'Reillys & it was bad, purchased a new one. Still had this problem. Tightened the wire (selonid wire) the wire from starter to the battery. Since then it has not done this.
Bates10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #15
Jeeploverbr

I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I started getting the "transmission over temp" message a couple of months ago. I had no problems initially with it starting. I would turn the car off and then start it again and the message would go away. The car would drive just fine. In the past week that has not been the case. The light is coming on after a short distance of driving and then slow down...all most stopping. I have to stop the car, turn it off and then start it again. The car starts and drives just fine until my next destination. This appears to be an issue with starting the car the first thing in the morning or after a cold start. My vehicle has been at the dealership for 2 days now and they can not get the vehicle to replicate the issue. They called yesterday and asked if I had gotten the check engine light at the same time I'm getting the transmission over temp message which I have not been. When I told the dealership that this issue does not seem to be an isolated problem because of the numerous posts from other jeep owners on the internet they acted like they had never heard of the issue. This is obviously a major defect with Jeeps. Not only Grand Cherokees but jeeps in general.
Jeeploverbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.