Transmission over temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission over temp

1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler Turn Signal Switch (Wells)1987-1989 Jeep Wrangler Brake Pad & Rotor Kit Semi-Met50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring Kit

Unread 05-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
lund1775

Transmission over temp

While towing my boat a few days ago this light came on dash. I immediately stopped and shut it down. I wasn't in tow/haul mode. And at the point this light came in I was only on road 5 minutes. I ran ran through gears after starting it back up, the light wasn't on and the fluid levels and color looked good. I turned around and headed home to be safe. The next day on the way home from work not a minute from my driveway the light came on again.

I brought the truck in today and they told me the pcm isn't communicating with the sylanoid pack. In addition they notified me of a new recall for the final drive control module. Does anyone know if this could affect the transmission system?

Fyi I didn't bring it to a Chrysler shop. But am going to

lund1775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

No relation between the final drive Satisfaction Campaign and the solenoid pack.

Both the solenoid pack and the valve body got some improvements over their life. The early ones put in a good lifetime but sometimes fail prematurely. If you've got an early WK, you may simply be in need of a new and improved solenoid pack. The part's not bad ($250-$300); it's the labor that's the killer.

Take care of it now; one of the things that can happen on nearly all makes is that a failed solenoid may damage the PCM too, and then you've got an even more expensive repair.
Unread 05-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
lund1775

Does anyone know where the temp sensor is located?
lund1775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

It's built into the solenoid pack.

Bad sensor, replace the solenoid pack. Bad solenoid, replace the solenoid pack. Bad connector, replace the solenoid pack. Get the picture?

Not saying it is the solenoid pack -- a shop that knows the 545 needs to diagnose that -- but anything failed on or in the solenoid pack is going to mean a new solenoid pack.
Unread 06-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
twoodcock
2005 WK 

Ok, guys I'm having issues with my 2005 Laredo 4.7 (154,670 mi) I have gotten the same Transmission over temp light like a lot of people. I only see it during the warm months here in NC. It only seems to occur when the outside air temp goes above 80F. The engine seems fine no issues at all with cooling, fan runs and plenty of coolant. I have taken it to two local shops when the message is displayed bu they aren't getting any codes. This occurs during normal driving, not towing. It also doesn't matter if its highway or city driving. The only key seems to be the outside air temp. I love the vehicle but I now have an RV and with the added weight and this issue the last thing i want to do is be on the side of the road with a blown transmission. Any help would be great!
twoodcock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

I've recently had the same problem with my 05 5.7. It has 147k miles and I haven't replaced the fluid and filters before. I'm going to to that and see if that fixes it.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.