Transmission over temp???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission over temp????

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
cookr

Transmission over temp????

Hey guys,

I am new to this site and was hoping that you all might be able to shed some light on my problem. I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. In the last week or two in the information center below the tach I will often get a message that says transmission over temp. When that message is displayed the car does not shift properly. The up shifts and down shifts are rough and it seems to be searching for what gear it needs to be in. Also the the electric fan will remain on as long as the transmission over temp message is displayed. I have checked the transmission fluid and it is full and still the right color. Also the transmission is less than a year old. We did a rebuild on it for a different reason. Also, I don't know if this is related to the transmission over temp message but sometimes for the first start up of the day I will start it up and back out of the driveway. As a I change from reverse to drive and then step on the gas it will sometimes just shut off. I can then start it right back up and it will never do that again the whole day. Any ideas.....?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cookr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
jpm6621

My 2009 Grand Cherokee shows this Transmission Over Temp in the Information Window below the tach only for a brief second on start up. It has not always done this, but i don't have any transmission problems as far as shifting. I'm having starting problems but i don't know if it's related. I'd also like some info on this.
jpm6621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
ethorson

My 2007 CRD with the NAG1 transmission has also been "possessed" with similar symptoms. Once I got the transmission overtemp indication when I shifted into park before shutting down. At other times I get a MIL with a code of P0705 (Transmission range sensor circuit PRNDL). And then sometimes I get a "Service park assist system" message.

I think all of these problems are related to the transmission temperature sensor circuit on the NAG1 transmission. For whatever reason MB decided to share the neutral safety switch function and transmission temperature measurement on the same wire by placing the temperature sensor in series with the safety switch. If you have a bad connection in this circuit then you may get a false overtemp or you may get a false indication of neutral or park.

I suspected that the most likely spot for a connection problem would be at the transmission connector, which is near the right front corner of the transmission oil pan. I gained access to the connector be removing the skid plate and a small heat shield next to the connector. I then rotated the connector bayonet locking ring counter-clockwise to eject the connector and then reversed the process to plug it back in again. I repeated this several times with the idea that this may remove some oxide from the connector pins and restore the integrity of the connection. Note that there have been problems with the adapter on the transmission that the connector plugs into. If transmission fluid is leaking in this area or if fluid comes out when you unplug the connector then you need to have the adapter changed.

So far I have not seen any weirdness after this exorcism, but time will tell if my suspicions are correct.
ethorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Vince120h

I had a similar issue last week after driving into New York city from Long Island when I parked in the garage I got transmission over temp and couldn't start the engine. I left the jeep in the garage for the attendant to deal with it so I could get to my appointment. When I returned 3 hours later the attendant said the battery was dead and he jumped it a few times and got it to start. I got about 6 blocks and the jeep stalled or just shutdown! Right on Park Avenue. Dashboard lights seem to act strange and everything went dark but the Hazard flashes worked, no radio or lights.

Long story short got a flatbed to tow it to the dealer and the next day the service tech said I needed a new battery- seems strange to me that the battery would cause this problem but the jeep is running fine now. I don't feel comfortable about this- does this seem right?
Thanks
Vince
Vince120h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Mine has been doing it since I got it in 2008...no issues other than the quick display on the EVIC.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Mine has been doing it since I got it in 2008...no issues other than the quick display on the EVIC.
Exactly the same for me.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
ryancurry1979
2006 WK 

I have two jeeps that do the same thing but no problems at all with the transmission.
ryancurry1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
vanderHulst

Did the problem reoccur after the Transm Temp sensor "fix"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethorson View Post
My 2007 CRD with the NAG1 transmission has also been "possessed" with similar symptoms. Once I got the transmission overtemp indication when I shifted into park before shutting down. At other times I get a MIL with a code of P0705 (Transmission range sensor circuit PRNDL). And then sometimes I get a "Service park assist system" message.

I think all of these problems are related to the transmission temperature sensor circuit on the NAG1 transmission. For whatever reason MB decided to share the neutral safety switch function and transmission temperature measurement on the same wire by placing the temperature sensor in series with the safety switch. If you have a bad connection in this circuit then you may get a false overtemp or you may get a false indication of neutral or park.

I suspected that the most likely spot for a connection problem would be at the transmission connector, which is near the right front corner of the transmission oil pan. I gained access to the connector be removing the skid plate and a small heat shield next to the connector. I then rotated the connector bayonet locking ring counter-clockwise to eject the connector and then reversed the process to plug it back in again. I repeated this several times with the idea that this may remove some oxide from the connector pins and restore the integrity of the connection. Note that there have been problems with the adapter on the transmission that the connector plugs into. If transmission fluid is leaking in this area or if fluid comes out when you unplug the connector then you need to have the adapter changed.

So far I have not seen any weirdness after this exorcism, but time will tell if my suspicions are correct.
Hi, just curious if you ever had issues again with starting etc after this fix?
I had the starter replaced 2 month ago but two days ago it started again. I drive to the local super market, get my groceries and when I get back it displays "Transmission over temp" and it wont start. Wait and try a number of times and it starts. Not very reliable. So today I had your "fix" done and see if I will get a possessed jeep again. Mine is a 2007 Commander. THX!
vanderHulst is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.