Transmission over temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission over temp

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 01-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Cinna
2007 WK 

Transmission over temp

Ok, I know this issue is somewhere on here but I'm getting mixed answers. I have a 2007 GC laredo, yesterday morning it would not start, it didn't turn over at all. Took off the terminals off the battery to start it and it did but would not start again, after self diagnosing it I started at the starter, had it replace started- turned it off would not start again. So if anyone can help it be appreciated it.

Cinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
tom58

how about the electronic immobilzer, have you tried to start with the other key, yet???
tom58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Cinna
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom58
how about the electronic immobilzer, have you tried to start with the other key, yet???
Thank you for your response, I thought that to. I'm going to try that tomorrow.
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Even if it is the transmission being over temp - The engine should still start. So it is not your transmission. My dash flicks 'Trans over Temp' at the same time I turn the engine over for the last 1.5 years that I've actually paid attention to it. But i'm not really sure what your issue could be - I am curious, so I will probably do a little bit of asking around - You can also try sending WK guru Mrtosh a pm.
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Cinna
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinna

Thank you for your response, I thought that to. I'm going to try that tomorrow.
I did try the spare key no luck had it towed this morning.
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Cinna
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ
Even if it is the transmission being over temp - The engine should still start. So it is not your transmission. My dash flicks 'Trans over Temp' at the same time I turn the engine over for the last 1.5 years that I've actually paid attention to it. But i'm not really sure what your issue could be - I am curious, so I will probably do a little bit of asking around - You can also try sending WK guru Mrtosh a pm.

This is the first time I noticed it, it only showed up when I took the key out. I did the "key trick" got code 11 I think. you said "You can also try sending WK guru" what do you mean, please excuse me I fairly new, and I don't post much. I'm a lurker. Thank you for your response.
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Cinna
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ
Ok I understand sorry.
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
JeepCares

This is the only thing I can find that might be related - and I don't know if it relates to your vehicle.

Diagnosis:
Vehicle will not crank; battery and starter system are working properly.
Discussion:
The Electrohydraulic Control Unit Assembly of the NAG1 transmission contains a temperature sensor
to monitor the transmission oil temperature. This sensor is wired in series with the transmission
Park/Neutral switch. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) expects to see a valid voltage level
from the sensor when the shifter is in Reverse or any forward Drive position. The TCM also expects
to see an open circuit condition when the shifter is in the Park or Neutral position. When the controller
detects an open circuit when in Reverse or any forward drive position the DTC will set. Note: Due to
an open circuit condition in Park or Neutral, the TCM substitutes the Transmission Temperature
reading with Engine Temperature when in Park or Neutral.
Validation:
Check the transmission temperature sensor circuit. If the transmission temperature sensor sees any
stray voltage on it (other than 5 volts) when in park or neutral, the vehicle will not start. Unplug the
valve body and monitor the temperature circuit for a change. If voltage does not go high, open circuit,
track the circuit for shorts. With the park neutral open and no other vehicle issues the vehicle should
crank and start while disconnected.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

The last time you started it it turned off on its own or you turned it off and couldn't get it started again?
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Cinna
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch
The last time you started it it turned off on its own or you turned it off and couldn't get it started again?
I turned it off, and it wouldn't start again.
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
tom58

is the engine turning at all?
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

There could be corrosion in the terminal to the starter. Worth a try to just replace the connection for a couple $$. Mine I was able to just clean a little bit and it works fine but maybe yours has a lot of buildup inside; so even with a new starter (clean on the solenoid side) it can't put the current through.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Cinna
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom58
is the engine turning at all?
Nothing, I'm clueless what is going on. I had an accident in dec but I have had my truck for 2 weeks now. I told the shop to let me know I'd it's related to it.
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
tom58

if it doesn´t turn at all it seems to be an electrical problem.starter batt. and key batt. are o.k. i suppose. have you got 12volt on your starter? what does the cable look like ? what sort of voltage have you got on your batt when you turn the key? i would think it´s something simple but you´ll have to work your way through, step by step
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Cinna
2007 WK 

UPDATE: it was a broken wire from the starter 80 bucks to fix.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.