Transmission oil lignt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission oil lignt?

Paracord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.comNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 05-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
Patrice01

Transmission oil lignt?

Hello
I hope I'm in the right forum section to ask.
I have a 2006 grand Cherokee Laredo with a reddish oil leak. I'm thinking its transmission oil. Anyway, the way the vehicle is made there is no dip stick to check the level and my appointment at the garage is only next week.

Does anyone know if a light will show on my dashboard is transmission level gets too low? I don't know much about mechanic and just want to make sure I can use the jeep for grocery this weekend without damaging it.

Thanks

Patrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
joe989
2008 WK 

There wont be an oil light, and that red leak could be coolant as well, they're the same colour. The oil from the transmission is thicker in appearance though.
If it feels like you are driving on ice, this means the transmission is slipping. You wont really do any damage to it unless its slipping. If the leak is a couple drops on the drive way then I think it's safe to use, but if it's leaving a puddle. You shouldnt drive it.
To check the oil level in your transmission is pretty complicated if you dont know what you're doing, and the only way to check it is to drive it anyways.
Best thing might be to take it to your mechanic and have him check it, and add more fluid if necessary, if you really want to drive it this weekend.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Patrice01

Thanks for your reply
It is leaking quite a bit but no slipping.
Last time I had it cheek I was told the thermostat housing needs to be replace. Maybe that add weight to your coolant theory?
Patrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
msully725

Check the trans lines where they go into the radiator (passenger side, middle of radiator). Common leak point. If the line is covered with gunk, there is your leak. Both our WKs have this leak.
msully725 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msully725
Check the trans lines where they go into the radiator (passenger side, middle of radiator). Common leak point. If the line is covered with gunk, there is your leak. Both our WKs have this leak.
^that was the first thing i replaced on my WK when i bought it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.