Transmission Maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission Maintenance

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
destruck
2006 WK 

Transmission Maintenance

Hi guys

I bought my jeep back in December '11. It only had 31k miles and was SUPER clean. I have no history on the car because it was a dealer trade in, but there is no modifications and it is 100% stock. Not even a tow package was ever installed.

I was reading the FAQ and other stuff and saw about the trans. Some pages recommend never touching it, while others say 100k miles. I am at around 53k now, and I put a lot of miles on the car but not harsh miles just because my work requires me to drive all over the county on a daily basis. The Jeep is giving me no issue's what so ever, but I would like to do this as preventative. Would there be any problems doing a simple filter and fluid change (no flush) at this point, and probably every 20k-30k miles there after? Can changing it too soon hurt anything?

It may sound weird, but I always ran manual cars, never an auto and never anything this new, so i have no idea. I do know automatics are super expensive to fix / replace.

This is a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 3.7l and W5A580 trans.

I can only find threads on older model Jeeps, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

destruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by destruck View Post
Would there be any problems doing a simple filter and fluid change (no flush) at this point, and probably every 20k-30k miles there after? Can changing it too soon hurt anything?
Nope on both counts. Go for it.

You could do a fluid and filter change with every oil change and not hurt anything other than your wallet.
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
jstand22
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Nope on both counts. Go for it.

You could do a fluid and filter change with every oil change and not hurt anything other than your wallet.
Agreed. As long as you set a regular interval you can change it whenever. I changed mine at 60K (pretty sure that was the first time), and I'm about to do it again (it's got 105,000 now).

The reason you see people saying not to touch it is because if you let it go too far without changing it at all the material from the clutches wears off and remains in the fluid, so now the transmission is depending on the clutch matieral in the fluid because there's none left on the clutches. So if you change it, you might be in for real trouble. If the fluid is grey/silvery then it is saturated with the clutch material (it will smell horrible too, way worse than already horrible smelling ATF4) and you should not change it. If it's red/purple/kind of dark, you're alright.

So in your case, you're good to go...just don't wear a shirt you like when you do it.

'05 Grand Cherokee 4.7
'01 Grand Cherokee 4.0
'87 Porsche 944S
jstand22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

maintenance guy of mine told me to change the fluid in these things every 15k.. so every 15k i do a drain and fill, being as im coming up on a 30k interval ill be changing the filters when i do a drain and fill this time.
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
maintenance guy of mine told me to change the fluid in these things every 15k.. so every 15k i do a drain and fill, being as im coming up on a 30k interval ill be changing the filters when i do a drain and fill this time.
15k For trans fluid is excessive unless you're towing or off roading a lot

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00RedWJ

15k For trans fluid is excessive unless you're towing or off roading a lot
Meh he said if I want to save or make the tranny last change it every 15k. I don't take it to him for this so I don't see why he would tell me that if he's not profiting from it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.