Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission knockin gout of place........ Help

1K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  KillaJeep4569 
#1 ·
Hey guys whats going on. the new jeep that I got looked flawless and sexy. I didnt test drive it as they were replacing the rear bumper for me. so when I picked her up and drove her home, it was like driving on a bouncy ball. I knew the BJ's and strust and shocks were done, coils had no life in them.

Then I was driving and As I was coming to a red light I threw the truck into Neutral to coast to the red light. Then I heard a clunking noise. A noise where you throw the car into park while it is still in motoin, type sound.

I pulled over, put her into park, looked under the truck and saw nothing. so I put her into Drive, then Reverse, then drive and it didnt make the noise.

It happened again as I was going about 40 over a hill and the jeeps weight thru the body up, and then I heard that clunking noise again. It sounds like somehting inside the tranny is slipping.

Cross member looked to be removed before purchase, also the tranny mount looks to be good to me.

What else would make this happen? Or why would the tranny move if it is locked into position by the cross member and the 4 bolts?

Thanks guys

See less See more
#3 ·
Firstly, never put it into neutral when the jeep is in motion... It will ruin your transmission.. I recommend you watching this:

Secondly, I had similar clunking noise due to bad bushing on the front diff. Possibly those are going bad on yours.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.