Transmission fluid overfill on Nag1 3.7L help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission fluid overfill on Nag1 3.7L help

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSmittybilt Rear XRC Atlas Bumper & Trailjack!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
voicesny
2007 WK 

Transmission fluid overfill on Nag1 3.7L help

Hi Guys, been dealing with this problem for almost 2 months now. This year i had my transmission fluid drained and replace with 4QTS. which is perfectly fine, put about 3000 miles with no problems and then had my tranny cooler line replaced and i thought some fluid was lost at the shop, so i added 1/2QT. back in, drove locally and was fine then one day i had to do 100 mile trip to philly and it started acting weird, the rpms were sticking and it just wasn't normal. Anyhow, i bought a pump and siphoned the 1/2QT. back out, and the fluid was dark, assuming overfill causes extra heat and foaming i later took the car to the shop to do a drain and fill, 4QTS. were put back, but now i feel on coldstarts the RPM hits 1500 then slowly comes down. Now my question here is does low transmission fluid also cause the RPM to be high on coldstarts? after a few seconds it starts falling down to 1000 then settles around 7-800, the normal rpm for me before overfill would be 500rpm. I have noticed that it seem like the car is louder when it starts as well. Also, received my dipstick a couple days ago and for some reason i cannot get it to read when car is running, i also took a reading before i started the car and i believe it was at 60MM, drove the car to auto zone, took another reading and i got nothing. Does this mean i am under filled now? Keep in mind that the 2nd time i had the fluids drained, i have no idea how much actually came out, it could have been more or less and i also noticed a little slipping when pulling the car out of driveway this morning but is fine once its warmed up. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

07 WK 3.7L
Dipstick: Dorman 917-327

voicesny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Nejeep

As you may know there is a temperature correction chart that needs to be used for the NAG1 transmission in your 3.7 WK. The fluid temperature needs to be checked with a scan tool in Park and on a level surface. The fluid level is critical to proper operation of the transmission. Just driving the Jeep until it is warmed up does not provide an accurate enough fluid reading, so you will need to get it checked by someone with a scan tool.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
voicesny
2007 WK 

This Nag1 transmission is a pain in the butt, it takes very for it to under and overfill. Another question, if the transmission was overfilled in the past with 1/2qts would that have any effect on the car having a high rpm on a coldstart but slowly goes down as car warms up? i just want to rule out that the high rpm on coldstarts is in no way comnected to the transmission. Normal start up rpm was 1000, and that was in 30 degree weather and now its been in the 50-60's and starts up at 1500rpm.

Last edited by voicesny; 04-08-2015 at 03:26 PM..
voicesny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Nejeep

I have not experienced an idle speed variation related to transmission overfill, nor have I heard of that issue from others here on the forum. The idle speed is set by the ECM based on coolant temp, inlet air temps and some other inputs (AC on/off, trans engaged, etc). The idle air control on the throttle body is the device that actually changes the idle speed, so it may be getting dirty or having some other problem. I wouldnt get too concerned about the different idle speeds unless the engine actually stalls.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grand cherokees , transmission fluid level

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.