Transmission Fluid Level Sanity Check - JeepForum.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 04-21-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
T1m
2006 WK 

Transmission Fluid Level Sanity Check

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm having a problem understanding my dip stick fluid readings.

2006 4.7 545RFE.

Changed my fluids last week and am still having an issue where I don't know if I have too little or too much transmission fluid.

Took it out for a 15 mile trip, found a level spot and checked the fluid level. I can never get the fluid to fill the bottom "hot hole" on the stick like it does the "cold holes."

The picture above is an anomaly, as that bottom hot hole was clear when I first pulled the stick out.

It usually looks like this, sorry it's blurry:

So I guess my question is, is my true level at the blue line in the first picture?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-22-2016, 06:27 PM
tom19511
2014 WK 

IMO, it should be between the holes that say hot

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

How are you checking your fluid level? Should be up to operating temp, on a level surface with engine running. Set service brake and run through the gears. Then let idle for a few minutes and set to park. Then with engine running check the level.
post #4 of 24 Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Bchain5
2007 WK 

I was just about to post the same thread. Having the hardest time finding my level.. I'll try using parking brake and moving through gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 7th Jeep, 07 Grand Cherokee QTII 4.7L
#164 of the Silver WK Club
My build http://goo.gl/sr5m5f
post #5 of 24 Old 04-22-2016, 07:30 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

If you read the stick, it states to check fluid with engine running and trans in neutral.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #6 of 24 Old 04-22-2016, 07:34 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
If you read the stick, it states to check fluid with engine running and trans in neutral.
Good to know.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Was just going to say that. Make sure it is in neutral.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-23-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
T1m
2006 WK 

The 545RFE should be in park when reading the stick.

I think I have mine sorted out, I had too much fluid and I believe that gave me my inconsistent readings. Once I pumped out almost a quart, it now reads where it should.
Bchain5 likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

I don't care what the service manual states, it's not unusual for them to be wrong.

My stick clearly reads "-IDLE IN NEUTRAL-". My old truck with the same trans was the same way.

post #10 of 24 Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
T1m
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Could we both be right and that you can check the fluid in both Park and Neutral?

This, again, from the service manual:

"The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground. At normal operating temperature (approximately 82 C. or 180 F.), the fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region (cross-hatched area) on the oil level indicator. The fluid level will be approximately at the upper COLD hole of the dipstick at 70 F fluid temperature."

I tested this today after driving 15 miles with a mix of highway and street driving.

In Park - I had a clean line on the stick, right around where it was supposed to be. I measured it a few times.

In Neutral - I did not have a clean line on the stick, which made the readings vague. Again, I measured it a few times and there was not as clean a line on the stick as it was while in Park.

Cheers!
post #11 of 24 Old 04-23-2016, 03:38 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1m View Post
Could we both be right and that you can check the fluid in both Park and Neutral?
I know on older vehicles should be checked in neutral but wkjeeps says park. Wonder if there might be some splashing going on.

But here is the procedure they have that says in park and do trust this site

CHECKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL:
NOTE:
If equipped with a dipstick, use the following procedure. If your vehicle has a capped dipstick tube, it is sealed and should not be tampered with. Your authorized dealer has the proper tools to ensure that the fluid level is set properly.

Check the fluid level while the transmission is at normal operating temperature. This occurs after at least 15 miles (25 km) of driving. At normal operating temperature the fluid cannot be held comfortably between the fingertips.

To check the automatic transmission fluid level properly, the following procedure must be used:

1. Operate the engine at idle speed and normal operating temperature.
2. The vehicle must be on level ground.
3. Fully apply the parking brake and press the brake pedal.
4. Place the gear selector momentarily in each gear position ending with the lever in P (Park).
5. Remove the dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert it until seated.
6. Remove the dipstick again and note the fluid level on both sides. The fluid level should he between the "HOT" (upper) reference holes on the dipstick at normal operating temperature. The fluid level is only valid if there is a solid coating of oil is seen on both sides of the dipstick. If the fluid is low, add as required into the dipstick tube. Do not overfill. After adding any quantity of oil through the oil fill tube, wait a minimum of two (2) minutes for the oil to fully drain into the transmission before rechecking the fluid level.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-24-2016, 08:13 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

I recall seeing in the hydraulic diagrams that the pump isn't circulating fluid when in park. They also tell you to raise idle with trans in neutral to ease overheating. If you've ever had the filter drainback problem causing delayed engagement, shifting to neutral for a moment takes care of it.

I honestly don't feel like looking through the manual to find those fluid circuits and confirm, but I've never had a problem checking level in neutral.

post #13 of 24 Old 04-24-2016, 09:40 AM
DRAX392
2006 WK 

The 545RFE flows in both park and neutral, the older RE transmissions (42RE, etc) only flow in neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bchain5 likes this.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (WK), 4.7L V8, QTII
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
post #14 of 24 Old 04-28-2016, 05:16 PM
charanga

Fluid level will be the same in park or nuetral....does mot make a difference...looks like a tad over not enough to hurt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 24 Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Penguin_Jeep
2006 WK 

Mine doesn't have a dipstick...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.