Transmission Fluid Level 2006 WK 3.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission Fluid Level 2006 WK 3.7

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Marc4885
2006 WK 

Transmission Fluid Level 2006 WK 3.7

Sorry to start a new thread but I have been searching for answers on here for some time.

Is there any particular reason why Jeep has capped the Transmission Fluid filler tube on the 2006 WK 3.7?

The temperature has really dropped in New England in the last couple of weeks and all of a sudden I am getting a little bit of torque converter shudder and I want to be able to check the level on the transmission fluid.

Is there a dipstick that I can purchase for this vehicle in order to check the level and pull that cap off for good?

Furthermore, does anybody have the opinion that the fluid might need to be topped off due to it getting cold? Would love to hear your thoughts/insights on this issue. Thanks in advance.

Marc4885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

gotta either buy a dipstick or go to the stealership

or if u have nag1 tranny buy this http://www.toolsource.com/dipstick-n...-p-100198.html

quite expensive tho lol

ill also add that i dont have a transmission dipstick either
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

It's mentioned in a couple threads, the trick is finding them.

I wish I had a dipstick as well. In my opinion there is no good reason to just cap it off and call it a day. **** happens, fluids leak, and transmissions are not cheap nor indestructible (quite the opposite). Big design flaw on Mercedes' part, bad choice on Jeep's.

Does a dealer charge to check the fluid level? I'm not talking check it while they change your oil though, I mean drive in, ask them to check it, then leave. I have a dealer about 2 miles away, if I remember I'll try to stop by tomorrow morning.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
GeeEssFore

When I asked on another site this is what I got from them.
Since the miller tool for checking your transmission level is close to $70. This is the more economical way of doing it.
10 Step process.
Step 1.
Go to home depot, lowes, etc.
Step 2.
Go to electrical Isle
Step 3.
Pick up 36" or 48" plastic Zip Ties
Step 4.
Walk to counter and pay for plastic zip ties
Step 5.
Go home
Step 6.
Open Package
Step 7.
Mark a line at 77mm, 70mm, and 63mm from the bottom of the zip tie
Step 8.
Open Hood
Step 9.
Open transmission cap, and stick dipstick into hole (since your drive home warmed up your transmission oil, as it must be warm to measure it)
Pull it out and if it is within the range of your lines your ok.
Step 10.
put cap back on, close hood
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc4885 View Post
Is there any particular reason why Jeep has capped the Transmission Fluid filler tube on the 2006 WK 3.7?

People and shops kept putting in the wrong ATF and blowing trans.
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
People and shops kept putting in the wrong ATF and blowing trans.
Because.... there were inconsistencies in terms of what needed to be put in. Jeep shops showed one thing, manuscript said another.
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

There is a fluid temp/level graph that has to be used to gain the correct level in the Nag 1 autobox , my CRD with the W5J440 tranny is filled to a level of 68mm at 140 F.
You will need a reliable way of measuring the temp eg.Dashhawk OBD reader,once the temp is reached use the dipstick to measure the fluid level.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
Because.... there were inconsistencies in terms of what needed to be put in. Jeep shops showed one thing, manuscript said another.
Everywhere it states ATF+4 only,they even have a TSB stating any Chrysler trans that takes ATF+2 or 3 now takes ATF+4.Only the peugeot trans takes DEXIII,all other require ATF+4,printed in clear writing everywhere.Shops and owners did not look or care as ATF+4 is pricey due to being full synthetic.
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Nejeep

Most dealers will charge you to read the ATF level since they have to hook up their scan tool. Probably be their minimun $50-$100.

You can use most anything for a temporary dipstick. On my 06 WK 3.7 I used some 1/4" poly tube that's at least 40" long to reach the bottom of the trans pan. Just measure the length of the wet end of the poly tube or whatever you use with a mm scale. I found the level to be about 80mm after sitting over night in the garage where the ambient temp is around 60F. That seemed to be consistant after checking it on different mornings.

The level obviously changes once you start the engine and the ATF begins to warm up. As mentioned earlier there is a chart showing the level vs. ATF temp. I believe its in a TSB that can be found on wkjeeps.com That TSB originally addressed the shudder issue caused by water leaking into the transmission.

When I did my 30k trans service, I measured the amount of ATF removed and replaced it with the exact same amount.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
transmission fluid , transmission fluid level

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.