Transmission Fluid Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Transmission Fluid Change

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

Transmission Fluid Change

I went into my dealer to do a transmission fluid and filter change and they told me a flush would would remove more of the fluid and wouldn't require me to change the filter. They put some sort of additive in and drove it around and then came back to do a flush. Have you guys had any experience with this? They said it cleans the filter as well. They do not recommend it on transmissions that have not been on schedule for fluid change, only for regular 30k intervals.

1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

By doing a flush, the dealer doesn't have to tie up a perfectly good bay, doesn't have to worry about a comeback from lousy pan sealing, and doesn't have to deal with anyone moaning about bathing in ATF. They also usually get to soak you for a lot more moneyŚmost of them will charge for an overhaul fill, which is 2-3 times the fluid the Jeep-recommended drain and refill uses. Some even charge for any additional fluid used during the flush.

A flush isn't going to magically replace tired O-rings or filter media, and though the additive might break some crud loose from the filter, ask yourself where it's going to go: The flush machine runs the fluid in the same direction the transmission does.

How'd you end up due for a transmission service? Even severe schedule's only every 60K even with the CRD as far as I can tell. I hope you're driving the heck out of your CRD and didn't get the "Oh yeah, 30K, time for a service in these harsh CITY X conditions!" ****-and-bull story. If you chose to do it on the 30s that's fine, but there are a lot of shops that would sell you a tranny service every visit if they thought you'd bite.
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Find a new dealer.

Don't flush the trans, just have a fluid and filter change done.
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
mjonesjr
1998 ZJ 

Unless you change the filter, you are wasting your time and money!
mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
dcaprio
2005 WK 

I agree with colinzj, the flush usually loosens crud and then that crud clogs the filter or other small orifices in the tranny. I would definitely only do the fluid/filter change (actually two filters, i believe) and not until 60K as recommended.
'05 WK Limited 5.7L HEMI - 2" Rough Country Lift, LT245/75/17 Big-O A/Ts, Saguaro 4x Components 3/4" shackle mounts and antenna mount, Midland 1001Z CB radio, Firestik 3' antenna, Bilstein shocks, Stillen Metal Matrix pads and rotors, 4XGuard 12 Bolt Rear Differential Guard
dcaprio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

They only do the flush at 30k and filter replacement at 60k intervals. They will not do a flush if you wait until 60k intervals for the reason listed above in regards to crud. Basically the following schedule.

30k fluid flush
60k filter change and fluid flush
90k fluid flush
120k filter change and fluid flush.

They told me that you will get out more fluid by flushing than by just dropping the pan. Complete fluid change takes a little over 8 quarts. By dropping the pan you will only get about half that from what I was told.

I do some towing so I wanted to go with 30k intervals. The W5J400 lists 30k fluid interval changes for severe use. This is the tranny in my CRD according to my build sheet. The wkjeep site lists the W5A580 and the 545RFE but not the W5J400 tranny. The other units are 60k intervals schedule B.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.