Trans stuck in Limp-Mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Trans stuck in Limp-Mode

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 10-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
batsona
2007 WK 

Trans stuck in Limp-Mode

I'll post my experiences here, so others can know / benefit if this happens to them. I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 with the V6 3.7L engine. It's a 4WD with the 'Mercedes' transmission.

Once this week, I started out in the morning, when it had been ~35F overnite. Transmission in limp-mode. there was a status on the dash, "TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP" where the temperature is usually displayed. Check Engine light on, as well as the "ESP BAS" light. Would not advance from 1st gear. Pulled over and stopped/restarted engine. Everything OK after that. --until the next morning.

Same thing, cold morning, and transmission in Limp-Mode. This time I couldn't get it out of Limp-Mode, no amount of stop/restart would help. I had to stay home from work, so I decided to try to avoid a repair... I took terminals off the battery for 30min, then re-connected - no dice. I then decided to rip apart the center console and take the shift-module out & clean it with isopropol alcohol. Re-assembled, and no change. Still limp-mode.

After working for 4h on it, I called the tow truck & towed to the nearby Jeep dealership. I've got a service contract on this jeep, so I'm not too-too-woried about cost. Awaiting call-back. I'll post status here, just so everyone can benefit.

batsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

See this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...-mode-1067011/
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
batsona
2007 WK 

I looked thru that thread -- thanks! The last thing I did before calling the tow truck, was to rip apart the center console, and I found & cleaned those contacts & the ckt board - which did no good unfortunatly. That thread had alot of people who had the same problem but no one had posted any resolutions..
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
batsona
2007 WK 

OP here: OK, just got back from the dealer. New Transmission Control Module (TCM) for $269. p/n is RL150240-AB. Runs perfectly now. Interestingly, it seems a bit tighter in 2nd gear... Going around slow curves in my neighborhood (no stop sign), when I put my foot on the gas to pick up speed, it throws me aginst the back of the seat, where I have to ease up on the accelerator a bit. Now I just need to have that transmission service done, along with both differentials & transfer case, and I should fly down the road.... I'm only getting ~17Mpg on this 3.7L.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.