Tranny oil/filter change - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tranny oil/filter change

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

It's not normally an issue, and is just more annoying than anything else. On startups you just need to let it sit and idle for ~10-15 seconds before putting it in gear.

The problem is the check valve inside the torque converter not sealing real well. The fix is a new torque converter but, unless you have other problems warranting removal of the tranny, IMO it's not worth the time, effort or money.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
yzjwk
2005 WK 

^^ X2 . As long as the fluid level is proper , and you allow the trans time to shift , then you shouldn't have an issue . But if you are one of those people that wants to put it in gear and go right away , then you could eventually cause some dammage as the engine revs up and the trans slams into gear .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
DVB
2006 WK 

Got it, thanks fellas.
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
DVB
2006 WK 

Ah, that shifting actually isn't bad at all. I think I was just being a little paranoid. I did add that 8th qt this past weekend. I'm now able to actually see the amount. Before, the level was just barely showing on the tip. It was actually showing the same even before I did the Trans service. I'm thinking It was just low on trans fluid from the start.
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
DVB
2006 WK 

Been away from the forum lately, but I just wanted to mention my fluid level is still pretty low, It's nowhere near full.? I'm not leaking anything but I just find it strange that it's not even close to half way. Maybe I'll add just a little more..
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

As said before, just be sure it is fully warmed up before you check it.....about 30 miles or so should do it. For sure you don't want to overfill it, as that can also cause issues.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
DVB
2006 WK 

Yeah that's what I was worried about. I checked the level when I got home from work, about a 13-15 mi drive. I went through each gear, checked the level in N. The Level read fairly low. I think it was the 2nd hole. I'll try and put a few more miles on this weekend and see what I come up with.
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

FWIW, I did my tranny fluid/filter change yesterday and I don't know how much I drained, but I had only bought 7 quarts of fluid and it took all that and is at least 1 quart low. I'm going to the dealer and getting another couple of quarts and ill see how much it takes to get full...
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
DVB
2006 WK 

Let me know how it goes. I may be heading to the dealer myself, I've been wrestling w/ a p0301 code for a while.
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVB
Let me know how it goes. I may be heading to the dealer myself, I've been wrestling w/ a p0301 code for a while.
I picked up two more quarts and on my way home I drove for about 25 minutes. I checked the Fluid and I was down around full capacity at cold temp when in park. (I added 7 quarts after my change). So I added a full quart and drove another ten minutes then rechecked and I was about 1/4 of the way between the two holes for hot temp. That was in neutral. I did that because the dipstick says neutral. I rechecked in park and it was even with the lower hole. I'm going to leave it and recheck in a week.

So that is a total of 8 quarts...
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #26
DVB
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfulcher77 View Post
I picked up two more quarts and on my way home I drove for about 25 minutes. I checked the Fluid and I was down around full capacity at cold temp when in park. (I added 7 quarts after my change). So I added a full quart and drove another ten minutes then rechecked and I was about 1/4 of the way between the two holes for hot temp. That was in neutral. I did that because the dipstick says neutral. I rechecked in park and it was even with the lower hole. I'm going to leave it and recheck in a week.

So that is a total of 8 quarts...
Have you checked your levels yet?
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVB
Have you checked your levels yet?
Yes. It was the same. No change. Total of 8 quarts did it.

My parking area is slightly sloped to the side. When I check parking in opposite directions it can vary by the amount of the distance between the holes. I was at top hole one way then bottom the other way so I'm assuming I'm in the middle on flat ground. I would make sure you're level in all directions when you check.
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
DVB
2006 WK 

I ended up adding 1/2 qt more (8.5 total). The level looks better, I'm not at full but better than what it was, we'll see how it goes. I mentioned earlier that it was probably low on fluid prior to me changing the fluids, I just wasn't paying too much attention to the levels at that time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.