Tranny oil/filter change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tranny oil/filter change

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
DVB
2006 WK 

Tranny oil/filter change

I drained almost 8qts of tranny oil. Is that about right? I was expecting 6 maybe 7q's. I put 7 back in but I guess I'm going to have to add another qt. After checking the level these last few days it looks like it could probably use 2 more. I just don't want to overfill. How may qt's are you guys adding? Despite this minor oil question, my first transmission fluid/filter change on the jeep was pretty smooth. I highly recommend getting ramps!

Unread 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

8 is correct on a hemi, not sure on a 4.7. Check wkjeeps.com

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
8 is correct on a hemi, not sure on a 4.7. Check wkjeeps.com

What diffrence would the engine make ? It's the same transmission .

OP - The service manual calls for 6.5Qts for a service fill and the 14 for an overhaul . You should make sure that trans is good and hot before and check it in neutral . You may have had a drain back issue on the old spin on filter or the torque converter that allowed a little more fluid to drain back to the pan .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

Sorry, I misread thinking it was engine oil! iPhone reading takes this one

Unread 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
DVB
2006 WK 

Will do, thanks.
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Mine took 8 qts. the last time I did it. It's due again in about 3000 miles, so we'll see if it'll be the same.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
DVB
2006 WK 

I thought maybe it was because of the ramps I was using, it may have somehow helped drain more but maybe that's how it is. As long as it's nothing to be worried about, I'm fine with 8qts.
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
yzjwk
2005 WK 

You'll generally know if you have a leak back because the trans will take a couple seconds to engage drive on the first startup .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
DVB
2006 WK 

I see, I'll keep on eye on that. Thanks.
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Yes, as long as it is full when hot.....after driving it for about 30 miles or so, you'll be fine. The amount depends on how long it was sitting before you changed it, and how much fluid had drained back from the torque converter. IMO, the more old fluid you can get out and new in, the better. Was this the first time its been changed?
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
modette
2005 WK 

Just did mine too I put back in 6.5 Quarts as per the service manual....drives fine...I will check it after a good drive one day and add some if need be...not hard to add fluid. Remember it expands when 180 degrees per the instructions on the dip stick vs checking at 70 degrees....easier to just check after running it and fill accordingly.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
DVB
2006 WK 

Thanks, I'll check the level when I get home. It was my first time changing it since I bought it a couple mo's ago. I have no history on it so I been changing all the fluids little by little.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
modette
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVB View Post
Thanks, I'll check the level when I get home. It was my first time changing it since I bought it a couple mo's ago. I have no history on it so I been changing all the fluids little by little.
You could go to the Jeep site, make an account put the VIN in and boom you have the past service records as long as they took it to the dealer.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
DVB
2006 WK 

Thanks modette, I didn't know I can do that. I found a few records, unfortunately nothing about fluid changes. Just some "misc" stuff. Could I somehow search the repair order #'s to find more details?
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
DVB
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
You'll generally know if you have a leak back because the trans will take a couple seconds to engage drive on the first startup .
I am noticing a slight delay when shifting to drive on the first startup. Could this be a potential problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.