Tranny Leak - Connector Bushing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tranny Leak - Connector Bushing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
lambo05grand

Tranny Leak - Connector Bushing

2005 GC Laredo, 3.7L V6

I've gotten the "transmission fluid leak" that seems to be rampant on the wk NAG trannys. The part is approximately $15 as has been noted. However, the TSB says the new center brass screw needs to be tightened to 22in/lbs. I dont have a torque wrench that measures that - for you guys that have changed yours, is that the equivalent of getting it snug by hand?

Stealership wanted $160 to change it - just couldn't justify that for a $15 part.

lambo05grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
marko138
2011 WK 

Do you have pics of this leak? I've got a 3.7. I just changed the cooler hoses on mine yesterday.

marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
lambo05grand

I do not have a pic of the leak (it was dark last night and raining today). However, they did show me while it was on the lift this morning - it did appear to be coming from the connector bushing. For $15 I don't mind replacing.

However, my hoses may be leaking as well. Couldn't see much fresh 'wet' residue on the hoses but it did look like it had been wet at some point in time.

The leak is dripping from the bottom of the pan - where was the leak ultimately falling to the ground in your situation? Was it running down the lines all th way to the pan?
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
marko138
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo05grand View Post
I do not have a pic of the leak (it was dark last night and raining today). However, they did show me while it was on the lift this morning - it did appear to be coming from the connector bushing. For $15 I don't mind replacing.

However, my hoses may be leaking as well. Couldn't see much fresh 'wet' residue on the hoses but it did look like it had been wet at some point in time.

The leak is dripping from the bottom of the pan - where was the leak ultimately falling to the ground in your situation? Was it running down the lines all th way to the pan?
No, mine was running down the radiator hose on the passenger side and dripping to the ground there.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Nejeep

I just snugged up the 7mm bolt by hand. Here is a link to my write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...umber-1456947/

There are some you-tube videos showing this connector replacement also, heres one.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
lambo05grand

Good write up. I actually pulled out the plug last night before I got on here and realized it was a dealer only part. Picked one up today. One thing I noticed is that it's a pain to get the plug all the way back down in the hole and there's no room. Other than that, I think I'll save my $150 for dealer labor! And luckily I have a dipstick!

Did you use a 7mm deep socket with an extension? Seemed to be the only way I could get it to work.
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Nejeep

Yes thats what I used for the 7mm bolt along with a real short ratchet.
I didnt get a factory dipstick but made my own from a length of poly tube and mm scale to measure the wet end. I see Dorman now sells one for about $20.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
AlannaVic
2005 WK 

My husband just changed that part and now my tranny wont shift. stuck in 1st gear. any suggestions. good news is my leak stopped
AlannaVic is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.