Trailer Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Trailer Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
pkmulloy

Trailer Issues

So my 2006 WK came with a factory 7 pin trailer hitch, I recently purchased a small trailer to haul camping gear and when I went to plug it in, no lights on the trailer! I bought the 7 to 4 converter before plugging in of course. Checked all wiring on trailer and pretty positive it is all correct as the lights work on my friends truck. I was told that some jeeps need to have the computer programmed to let it know there is a trailer attached... has anyone heard of this? So rather then deal with the stealership i purchased a harness from etrailer.com that hooked directly to my tailights in hopes of by passing the computer program, hooked this is up and now have one running light on... I need advice on where to go from here...

pkmulloy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I have a factory hitch. Never had a problem with the plug. Buy or make a 12 volt test light and test each pin of your plug on the car. Have someone help you with the blinkers, brakes etc. Then you will know for sure if it is working or not.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Look up underneath. Mine came with the 7 pin mounted next to the hitch, but there was also a secret FOUR pin connector stashed up under the bumper.

Use that one.
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
Look up underneath. Mine came with the 7 pin mounted next to the hitch, but there was also a secret FOUR pin connector stashed up under the bumper.

Use that one.
Same with mine, not even that secret.
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
marka2k

2006 WK 

I have a similar situation my left side works the right is dead, it shows codes that the right trailer circuit is high (forgot the exact code number) did some research and it appears from what I can find a flash from the dealer is necessary. May or may not be relevant but thought I would mention it just in case.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , electrical issue , tow harness , trailer harness , trailer wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.