Trailer hitch mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Trailer hitch mod

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Brains72
2007 WK 

Trailer hitch mod

Just got my new 265/70/17 tires and got a used one to put under for the spare. I know I need to mod the hitch and I saw some that used carriage bolts as a replacement and then cut down the receiver tube.
Is this ok if I plan on using the hitch to tow a 5k lb trailer with a weight dist hitch
Do they make grade 8 carriage bolts?
Thanks in advance
Ed

Brains72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

My hitch is cut back (modded) and I've towed many times with the load you are looking to pull.

It's fine.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Brains72
2007 WK 

Thanks
Brains72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Yup The Bison build has been done this way.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...l#post12793004

Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Carrage bolts are not graded, no way would I use them. Better to cut off the bolts and the hitch.

I just did the mod and it is easiest if you remove the bumper.. and the hitch .. cut the hitch and put it back. You have to buy 4 for those pop revets.

Towed a boat down south.. 6 hour drive on the new 265-70-17. Mileage dropped to 11 mpg running hard and fast.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
Carrage bolts are not graded,
Ditto.... NO carriage bolts..... ever, on a hitch or anything that requires strength. Bolts must be hardened steel..... grade 8. I had a hitch break once this very reason.... fortunately it fell off just as I pulled up to a stop sign.... sort of a miracle really. And the stop sign was next to a hardware store. That's when I learned about hitches and grade 8 bolts.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

You may not be able to find grade 8 carriage bolts at Home Depot but they're easy to find online.

But does bring up a good point to use a quality bolt for this application.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavallinoRed View Post
You may not be able to find grade 8 carriage bolts at Home Depot but they're easy to find online.

But does bring up a good point to use a quality bolt for this application.
I hadn't realized they were so difficult to find locally. I had seen them available online.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

the bolt number pictured above is 807A which is not graded, it is a zinc covered one.
anyways .. cutting them down works .. but then the rear 4xguard skid plate doesn't fit.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
jd0110
2007 WK 

For those that have done this with the hitch on the vehicle, how tough was it? Was it just a matter of using an angle grinder? Appreciate everyone's insight. I've just now gotten my 265/70/17 spare and it absolutely won't fit with the hitch as it sits.
Unread 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
jd0110
2007 WK 

Well, my buddy convinced me to just use a reciprocating saw with a good metal blade. This worked great for the hitch while still mounted. I did get a little crooked, so started back in from the other side which left a bur that I needed to file down. So not as pretty as others, but certainly was effective. Next is to cut the bolts, but the blade I used for the hitch is seemingly dull now and isn't cutting the bolt so well. Tomorrow I plan to buy a new blade to finish the bolts. I'm still not certain this new 265/70 BFG is going to go in without some help after doing the bolts. I'll update soon...
Unread 03-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #12
jd0110
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd0110 View Post
Well, my buddy convinced me to just use a reciprocating saw with a good metal blade. This worked great for the hitch while still mounted. I did get a little crooked, so started back in from the other side which left a bur that I needed to file down. So not as pretty as others, but certainly was effective. Next is to cut the bolts, but the blade I used for the hitch is seemingly dull now and isn't cutting the bolt so well. Tomorrow I plan to buy a new blade to finish the bolts. I'm still not certain this new 265/70 BFG is going to go in without some help after doing the bolts. I'll update soon...
I was able to easily cut the bolts with the new blade. Wow, this is still a really tight fit. I got the spare in there, but not convinced it's seating 100%. The tire surely folds my wire harness over tight on the hitch, and it's now hitting on the heat shield. Definitely didn't fit as easily as I'd hoped from my research. Really appreciate all the insight from this thread as well others thus far as I couldn't have gotten this far with all my mods without them. Thanks!
jd0110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.