Trailer hitch help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Trailer hitch help

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
cbioo

Trailer hitch help

I own a 2009 Grand Cherokee and I'm looking to have a trailer hitch installed. I went to my Jeep dealership today and inquired about the mopar hitch that is set into the bumper. Between the parts, electrical and labor they quoted me $1200 to install. Seems crazy expensive. I like the way the mopar hitch looks but don't want to spend that much money. Looking for any guidance on a good hitch and what i should expect to pay to have one installed. Thanks.

cbioo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
DuncsWK
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbioo View Post
I own a 2009 Grand Cherokee and I'm looking to have a trailer hitch installed. I went to my Jeep dealership today and inquired about the mopar hitch that is set into the bumper. Between the parts, electrical and labor they quoted me $1200 to install. Seems crazy expensive. I like the way the mopar hitch looks but don't want to spend that much money. Looking for any guidance on a good hitch and what i should expect to pay to have one installed. Thanks.
I am in a similar situation.... mine doesn't have a hitch.

From what I can tell all you need to do is to find a wrecked WK at a pick a part and pull the hitch, wire harness, etc and you can cut your bumber and just bolt it on.

...If someone knows better, please let me know.
DuncsWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
2005GRANDONE
2005 WK 

If your not worried about clearance and not going to do it yourself places like uhaul have aftermarket hitches that don't cut the bumper. And probably a lot cheaper

sent from my iPhone using jeep forum
05 laredo, 4.7 V8, H.O. cams, fastman t.b. OME hd 3", Rustys .5 spacers, bilstein 5150 rear, yukon spider & side gears, superchips flashpaq, 33x12.50x17 nitto mud grapplers on black moabs, 1.5 spidertrax wheel spacers, flowmaster 40 series, K&N cai, Mopar gas tank, T.C & engine skid plates, riddler diff cover, removed sway bar on front.

Jks quicker disconnects for sale pm me
2005GRANDONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

I installed a Mopar hitch on my jeep a few weeks ago, it cost me under $250 and about an hour of my time. looks great.

you need:
the proper wiring for your application (4 or 7 pin)
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item48405f1f4e
and
enough skill to cut the plastic bumper cover - a dremmel or die grinder works nice here
and
an oversized rivet gun or some ingenuity
2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
sunrcr69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
JRLT
2010 WK 

http://www.justforjeeps.com/hitchreceivers2.html

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82208228.pdf
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

I purchased and installed a Reese Class IV hitch. Hangs just under rear bumper. Rated at 5500lbs. towing and 500 dead weight. Cost about $120 online and took 15min, a socket wrench, torque wrench, and a case of beer.
DarthJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Nejeep

I also just installed a Class III Draw-tite hitch which comes out just below the bumper,so not cutting needd. Amazon has similar Curt hitches for about $85 shipped. Installation is a DIY if you have a 3/4 socket. Removing the two bumper push pins is the only slightly tricky part. The center of the push pin needs to be lifted about a 1/4" then the whole pin comes out without damage.
draw-tite-hitch-class-iii.jpg  

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I HAD a 2000 GC and I ordered a class 4 hitch online. Can't remember where right now. I also ordered the plug and harness. I installed it myself in one afternoon and it worked GREAT. This hitch did require trimming the plastic bumper and it came with bumper trim so when it was done, it looked like a factory job. No drilling was necessary, simply a bolt on job.

This was in year 2008 and total cost was around $400.00

My current jeep is a 2007 WK CRD and it came with a hitch.

I highly recommend that you get a hitch that uses load levelers and a sway bar.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
IceMan24
2007 WK 

I had a Class III Mopar hitch installed at a dealership, included the hitch, wiring harness, bezel to cover the cut in the bumper, and a nice rubber hitch cover with the Jeep logo on it. All totaled, with labor, was around $250. Sounds like you're getting hosed.
IceMan24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2009 , grand cherokee , mopar , trailer hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.