Trailer Brake Controller Wiring Hookups - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Trailer Brake Controller Wiring Hookups

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Trailer Brake Controller Wiring Hookups

Okay, time to install my P3 into my 2010 GC Laredo, 5.7 4x4. I just want to verfiy some very BASIC points, since I'm pretty stupid:

--I'm going to be running POS and NEG all the way to the battery, right? If so, what is the recommended route from the install location near the steering wheel?

--It seems simple enough to find the green Jeep TT wire. That leaves the #2 Stop Lamp Switch. Where in the world is this critter hiding?

Thanks!

johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

No need to run a ground all the way to the battery, a good chassis ground will work. And what positive wire are you referring to? The charging wire in the trailer plug or power to the controller? If its for the controller you want switched power that's only on when the ignition is on and not a constant hot.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
igloid
2007 WK 

That wire is located above the brake pedal in a taped bundle of wires. A real pain the @ss to get to. Worst part of the whole job when I did it.

Look here for more information.
igloid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Took my GC into Camping World to have them install my trailer brake controller. This after I took a close look at the project and got cold feet. If I'd had any previous experience working through the dash I would have done it, but as it was I couldn't find anyone here, at Tekonsha or NAPA who could advise me EXACTLY how to do it, so I took it to the "experts".

Turns out Camping World knew less about my rig than I did, and doubled their price once they got started. And while they certainly have a lot of experience installing brake controllers, they still managed to install mine crooked, and used the wrong screws attaching the controller to the bracket, stripping it.

On the up side, the controller is mounted to the glove box as I wanted and is out of the way of my knee, and is readily accessible.

Hopefully I'll get a little more Sack when it comes to future projects, as it was only fear of the unknown that kept me from giving it a try.

Thanks!
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Tuco
2007 WK 

Ive got all the wires connected except for the connection to 12v positive at the battery. I have a 20amp circuit breaker. The directions say to hook the black wire (12v +) from the controller directly to + side of battery thru a 20 amp circuit breaker. But wont this cause the battery to drain?

I couldnt find a power switch on the Tekonsha Prodigy controller and when I tried hooking it to plus side of the battery a purple light turns on the controller. Will this light eventually turn off or am I supposed to connect to a switched source of power?

If Im supposed to use a switched source, how do I connect to an ignition switched hot source and be sure I have the correct amp fuse? The directions that came with the controller and the WK directions are pretty vague about this.
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

My understanding is the brake controller times out and the drain on the battery is so minimal it doesn't effect battery.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

On my controller it would only light up and seem to be energized when a trailer was hooked up. Without a trailer on it had a constant 12+ and I never had a problem, i think it was a tekonsha
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Tuco
2007 WK 

I think you guys are right. After doing more online searches it looks like these units go into a sleep mode after 10-15 minutes of no motion. I makes sense to wire it directly to the battery for safety reasons. It would be nice for Tekonsha to put one more sentence in the instructions to let us know this is how the controller operates. Maybe they state this somewhere else in the paperwork.

Anyway, its nice to be done. Thanks for the tips.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Tuco, if you are anywhere near Portland, check out Curtis Trailers if you ever get a new rig and need a new brake controller installed. They installed the controllers on my 98 XJ and 2008 WK with no problems. Then again, they might just be more flexible on the price for people like me who have purchased 2 RVs from them.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.