TPMS warning will not go out after many visits to dealer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

TPMS warning will not go out after many visits to dealer

So i just purchased an 07 Grand Cherokee. The TPMS light was on the dash. They said they replaced a sensor so drive it and it will go out. Well it didnt. I have been back to the dealership 3 times. They have replaced the tire and sensor in the spare, and replaced the sensor that they replaced originally. The sensors are reading properly they say. The light does not come on right away. it starts to blink within 10 minutes of starting the car. it blinks for 1 minute only. then will go off and repeat itself every 10 minutes or so. They told me it is a stored code that reads "Japan Mode" when they hook it up? They dont know what that means. So they have requested that they keep it for a day to figure this out. Anybody have this issue and what to do? 4 times to dealership for TPMS is getting old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Yooshaw
2007 WK 

I have a similar issue, and have narrowed the cause to electronic interference. Are you running any non-stock electronics in the Jeep? The first instance happened to me when I installed a dashcam. TPMS would give errors like you describe. When I disconnected power, everything went back to normal. I have since got a new dashcam tht does not cause the interference, but it came back when I installed an aftermarket head unit. When I turn off the head unit, TPMS goes back to normal. I have since got a Superchips and disabled TPMS all together.

This may not be your issue, but thought I would share my experience.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

No i dont have any non stock electronics or aftermarket accessories. Disabling TPMS or just ignoring it would be an absolute last resort although that was the first thought that came to mind. i do not have good experience with TPMS from other vehicles. Thanks for the response.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 PM
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

On the 05-07's the problem is with Chrysler/Jeep. The idiots programmed the ID numbers of the original sensors into your Wireless Control Module (also known as SKREEM module) at the factory. They are stored in the non-volatile memory, so the only way to get it changed is go to the dumb a$$ stealer and have them charge you mega $$$ just to change the ID No's in th WCM. You're right though, the new sensors will all work fine, but you'll get that message forever, unless you change the ID's on the new sensors to the ones that were on your original sensors.....or pay to have the ID's in the WCM to reflect your new sensor ID's. Talk about stupid!!

What I have done is purchase Dorman cloneable sensors (all of theirs are suppose to be) and their cloning tool. You can purchase it as a kit. It'll work on all sensors (315 and 433 mhz) that are cloneable. Just get the ID's off your original sensors (you can get them read at any tire shop, or buy a reset tool), clone them onto the new ones and your light will go away. I, personally, refuse to go to the stealer and have them fleece me, solely because of their stupidity in designing the system. If you want, go to the dumb stealer and ask how much it'll cost for them to do it for you with their StarScan tool. Add in you inconvenience and hassle of taking it in, and then deduct that from the cost of the kit (again it'll work on all cloneable sensors) and that'll be your real cost.

Also, if you go this route, I would highly recommend you replace all sensors at the same time. It'll cost you a little more, but you'll probably never have to do it again. Remember the kit comes with 4 new cloneable sensors so, IMO, it's the easiest and best way to go without going to the stealer......who probably doesn't know anything about it anyway.

As a side note, since I did mine I've purchased a new piece of diagnostic equipment (Autel MaxiDas DS708), and while tinkering with it I've discovered that I can both read the TPMS Sensor ID's that are loaded into the WCM and also write new ID's to it. So, if you're ever in the Boise area, I'll do it for you for free.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the info and help. I will definitely tell them to look at that since I will be bringing it back to them to resolve on their dime.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

When you take it in, have them verify that the TPMS Sensor ID's installed on your vehicle match the ones that are programmed into the Wireless Control Module (WCM). If you've changed sensors, for sure they won't match, hence the lights and service msg. if you have the EVIC system. Let us know how it goes.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 03:03 PM
murderedoutGC
2015 WK 

sounds like I have the problem to your fix 90 grand....I threw some srt8 rims on mine that came with new sensors in it and I have this same issue of the light blinking on and then going off and repeating and it doesn't read the pressure(pisses me off and also makes me paranoid all the time). The place I bought the rims from told me that they would automatically resync after about 5 miles(hell that was about a year ago now). Took to the dealer to get them to reset it and they told me they couldn't sync my after market tpms sensors to the system but of course tried to sell me 4 brand new sensors.

2015 GC Altitude White on black
post #8 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 PM
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedoutGC View Post
The place I bought the rims from told me that they would automatically resync after about 5 miles(hell that was about a year ago now). Took to the dealer to get them to reset it and they told me they couldn't sync my after market tpms sensors to the system but of course tried to sell me 4 brand new sensors.

They'll all tell you they'll re-sync, but with the 05-07's they won't unless you change the sensor ID's in the WCM. First thing you need to do is make sure the new sensors in your wheels are 315 mhz and not 433 mhz. Any tire shop should be able to read all this info. (Sensor ID No., wheel position, tire pressure and temperature, battery status and whether is't 315 or 433 mhz) with their TPM Service Tool. Once you know for sure what you have, you can go from there. It's also BS that the stealer can't set up the aftermarket sensors. If they have ID No's. (which they all do, except unprogrammed cloneables), they should be able to set you up.They should easily be able to do it with a service/reset tool and their StarScan. If they say they can't, you don't want to be going to them anyway, as they're either rip-off artists or they don't know what they're doing.
With the correct tools, it should only take about 15-20 minutes to completely set everything up.....assuming you have the correct sensors in good condition. Let us know how it goes.

post #9 of 21 Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

Well they had the jeep ALL day today and they have not been able to fix the TPMS problem. They said they have reprogrammed the ID's into the wireless control module numerous times. Every time they take it out for test ride the light goes back on. They want to keep it until tomorrow now. This is frustrating but at least they are working to fix the problem i guess. they have given me a rental in the mean time.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 PM
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Just for curiosity, ask them what their step-by-step procedure was when they did all this. IMO, this is the way it should go, and the way I did mine:
1. With the TPMS service/status tool (or Starscan, if it has that capability), read each wheel's current sensor, including the spare. This should give them the info. I outlined in my Post No. 8.
2. Once they've verified that all sensors are the correct type and in good order, write down the sensor ID number for each wheel position. Do this at the same time they're checking the status.
3. Access the current WCM ID numbers (using their Starscan or other diagnostic tool that has this capability), and replace the existing ID numbers for each position with the ones they've written down for each current wheel position.
4. Save the info. to the WCM.
5. Go for a ride and see if it works. If it doesn't, there's something else in the system that may be causing the problem.

If possible, watch them do all this, so you know it's being done right. Good luck.

post #11 of 21 Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 PM
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
So i just purchased an 07 Grand Cherokee. The TPMS light was on the dash. They said they replaced a sensor so drive it and it will go out. Well it didnt. I have been back to the dealership 3 times. They have replaced the tire and sensor in the spare, and replaced the sensor that they replaced originally. The sensors are reading properly they say. The light does not come on right away. it starts to blink within 10 minutes of starting the car. it blinks for 1 minute only. then will go off and repeat itself every 10 minutes or so. They told me it is a stored code that reads "Japan Mode" when they hook it up? They dont know what that means. So they have requested that they keep it for a day to figure this out. Anybody have this issue and what to do? 4 times to dealership for TPMS is getting old.
One thing you don't mention is what system you have . THe premium system that tells you actual tire pressures on the dash , or the standard system that just gives you a light . It sounds to me like you have the standard system . If that's the case then the sensor ID theory is moot because although the standard system has ID numbers , the wcm does NOT use them . It doesn't need to because it will never tell you what tire is at fault except if you use a scanner to tell you what sensor is triggered .
If you do have the premium sytem , then are all the pressures correct or do you have -- at all 4 corners . Also , you will have a tranceiver in 3 of the 4 wheel wells which sends the id #'s and pressure info to the WCM . The standard system also does not have these transeivers .

Because you have the "Japan mode" code , I would guess that either the country code in the PCM or in the SKREEM module which houses the WCM has been set incorrectly . The SKREEM module may have been replaced .
The dealer should chech what the ctored country code is and make sure the vin matches between the SKREEM and PCM . If that is good and the dealer wants to go that extra mile , they should try using 433mhz sensors , because that's what would be used in japan .

I have the basic system , and besides the japan mode code , your TPMS operates exactly as mine does in winter when i have my steel rims on with NO TPMS sensors installed . So i think the whole "they are reading correctly " line is b.s ..

Good luck , i hope that helps .

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #12 of 21 Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

yes I do have the basic system.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

Well what can I say. after having the jeep for 2 days this time I finally get the call that it is all set, problem fixed. Picked it up and again within 10 minutes the TPMS light goes on. My paperwork says "Road tested vehicle/duplicated concern - set psi, light still comes on, found tpms sensor 4 fault code. found wrong part number in wcm - reprogrammed the wireless control module, cleared code- road tested OK." Now i pretty much read this entire post to them. looks like it is going back again. I hate having that light go on even though i know nothing is wrong. drives me crazy the fact they cant fix this.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

the dealer is going to install a new wireless control module. They say they have done everything else they can do. the sensors are working fine and they have reprogrammed the sensor id's into the WCM many times.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
bigzee
2014 MK Patriot 

so just to update. Had the jeep back to dealership. They ended up keeping it for a full week this time. They installed a new WCM and changed out 2 more sensors. no more tpms light. So this ordeal costed me aggravation and time, but no $$$ out of pocket. BUT it costed the dealer 10 days total for a rental car, 1 new spare tire, new wireless control module, and 3 new sensors. unbelievable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.