TPMS Sensors. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > TPMS Sensors.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
xeasternskies
2007 WK 

TPMS Sensors.

So I just picked up a set of JK Moabs and placed a order for (4) 1.5" Spidertrax spacers since I really want to get rid of this cheap plastic chrome fitted rims and get a better look. My only question is will a tire shop such as Firestone or even BJ's for that matter (membership) be able to transfer the TPMS sensors from the old rims onto the new ones? If so how much would that typical run? I know it takes about 15 minutes to do so personally but I only have one set of tires which are brand new and I will have to have everything done at the shop. Appreciate any help.

07 WK 4.7L V8 Limited l Flowmaster 44 l Spidertrax 1.5" l JK Moab's l Black WK #137.
xeasternskies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
rsq41
2007 WK 

Moving the TPMS sensors should not be a problem... I moved 08 JK sensors backward to some second hand 08 WK wheels, while also migrating away from the chrome "clad." They worked out great...

But check it out first, some shops will will not work with spacers, even if you have already put the spacers on for them... same thread as "your tires only have 6/32 tread left and we won't rotate them..." Huh? Fine, I'm OK doing it myself AND buying tires elsewhere...
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
xeasternskies
2007 WK 

I'll give a few shops some calls then sounds like its not a big deal. As for the spacers and doing it myself I'm kind of in a situation, since this is my only set of tires (I avoided getting half tread ones with the JK Moabs) I don't want the shop to put the wheels on and drive it home having my calipers rubbed on then install the spacers/wheels all over again.
07 WK 4.7L V8 Limited l Flowmaster 44 l Spidertrax 1.5" l JK Moab's l Black WK #137.
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Remember that the expected battery life of the TMPS sensors are 7-10 years. Unfortunately the sensor has to be replaced as the batteries are not removable in the stock units.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
xeasternskies
2007 WK 

Would a Flashpaq be able to cancel the error code on the dash if I just skip the TPMS sensors all together? It really isn't that big of a deal to check them myself.
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

I think there is a Flashpaq "Off Road" setting that disables the TPMS system. If you have one might check there.

Found one odd solution was to mount the sensors in a small piece of PVC pipe with caps at both ends and a valve so you can pressurize the tube. Of course would not solve the battery problem.

I'm sure a dealer could turn off the system but being a Federally regulated feature probably not allowed to do so. Brought to you by the folks that thought that motorized shoulder belts where a good idea.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
jeepinmoe
2008 WK 

Do I even need these?

I learned from this thread that the sensor batteries in my (new) 08 are almost dead. Online sources list them at $80 pop. I'd like to get new rims and rubber, and use plain old valve stems. What happens if I do that? Do I even need those stoopid TPMS stems?

TIA
jeepinmoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

You still probably have years left in the batteries. I have yet to replace one on my early '05.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.