TPMS Sensor Broke!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > TPMS Sensor Broke!!!

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeEssFore View Post
Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep TPMS are a huge issue. I replace in a day atleast 2-3 cracked stems or sensor nuts on these products. The aftermarket metal ones are a different type of metal and are alot nicer and easy on the pocket. I you guys need any TPMS i sell at cost to members. $25 a piece or $85 shipped for set
Damn. I paid much more than that for 1. Got the new one with the rubber stem. But I may change out the remaining two sensors in the future, so I will keep you in mind.

2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dzlwk View Post
The original caps also have a moisture seal inside, which is another reason why VDO recommends against replacing them with conventional caps...
See, now the caps aren't really the issue. Its the nut that is down lower towards the base of the stem. The actual valve stem is still intact, but its the nut that hold it in place that broke off.

I mean, I was able to pull the stem back out and the air pressure still inside held in place and the valve stem cap was still on.

And this is obviously a known issue. Which is why wkjeep.com lists the MOPAR Part A is superseded by Part B for ALL the different TPMS Sensors.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCK View Post
See, now the caps aren't really the issue. Its the nut that is down lower towards the base of the stem. The actual valve stem is still intact, but its the nut that hold it in place that broke off.

I mean, I was able to pull the stem back out and the air pressure still inside held in place and the valve stem cap was still on.

And this is obviously a known issue. Which is why wkjeep.com lists the MOPAR Part A is superseded by Part B for ALL the different TPMS Sensors.
IF the ferral nut broke off just put a new one on,you can buy rebuild kits since those nuts are a one time use item.

As far as part a supersedes part b mostly means they switch suppliers is all.
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
JeepCK
2009 WK 

So......... it happened AGAIN!!!!! This time, the tips broke off, not the nut down below. The stock TPMS sensors are complete garbage. I suggest everyone replace your own before you have a problem.

Tired looked a little low, so on lunch, I tried to take the caps off to test the air pressure. The tips of the TPMS sensor broke right off (tips = places you put air in from). Stupidly, I tried to take the cap off the front one and the tip broke off that one, too.

This is what I have left right now. I hope I don't go downstairs to my car and find two flat tires (already replace both sensors on the drivers side). Should have just replaced all 4.

Edit: Here are the pictures

Unread 05-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
GeeEssFore

Let me know if you want OEM ones or aftermarket. A full set of Dormain Orange ones are $90 shipped for 4.
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeEssFore View Post
Let me know if you want OEM ones or aftermarket. A full set of Dormain Orange ones are $90 shipped for 4.
Actually, I only need 2. Already replaced the previously broken ones on the drivers side.
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
GeeEssFore

$45
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #23
ggt1_02
2010 WK 

Looks like some nasty corrosion of aluminum is all. Aluminium doesn't like salt very much and if the cap had a crack in it road salt would sit in there and do its thing, with plenty of agitation and hot/cold cycling that corrosion just loves. I spend a lot of time at work evaluating the results of corrosion, it does not take long for aluminum to start looking really bad during cycling corrosion testing, as in i can look like your valve stems in the time it takes to produce and deliver a vehicle to the customer and the OEMs are all OK with that.
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
overland-wk
2006 WK 

Buy a rebiuld kit on amazon its less then $5 a wheel thats what i did.
Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #25
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland-wk View Post
Buy a rebiuld kit on amazon its less then $5 a wheel thats what i did.
Did you change them out yourself? How hard is it to separate the tire without a tire-machine?
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
overland-wk
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
Did you change them out yourself? How hard is it to separate the tire without a tire-machine?
I used a bottle jack and use the weight of my jeep to push down on the bead really easy.
Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.