TPMS Sensor Broke!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > TPMS Sensor Broke!!!

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
JeepCK
2009 WK 

TPMS Sensor Broke!!!

Haven't been round the board lately, but I just had a problem that I need to share.

My Tire Pressure Sensor broke while driving on the highway at 70mph. This is the second TPMS that failed on me. Is their some defect with them?

Here's what happened:
I was driving back home on the parkway this past weekend. I was driving 70-80 MPH (which is normal highway speed here in NJ). I drifted slightly over to the left and hit the rumble strips.

Apparently, this must have knocked something out of whack because my TPMS light came on. I immediately got over and miraculously, there was an exit right where I was and I got off the highway.

Upon inspection, I realized my tire has like 5psi left in it, but it wasn't deflating anymore. Investigating this more, there is a screw that goes around the metal valve stem on the outside of the Tire Pressure Sensor. The screw had broken off and the TPS was just held in place by the air pressure inside the tire.

Now, this could have been real bad, but thanks to advanced warning, I am still here to tell about it. But this is the SECOND TIME this has happened.

I got a flat last year and now I think a TPMS failure was the cause of my previous flat tire, too.

Has anyone else had any problem with their Tire Pressure Sensors? I think this is a major safety issue and Chrysler should address this.

I see that Chrysler has new sensors with rubber valve stems. The ones with the metal valve stem are the ones that broke. I think that Chrysler should give us all new rubber TPMS sensors. This could be a serious issue. I could have easily gotten into an accident or worse because the TPMS failed.

So be warned if you have the metal valve stem TPMSensors. I would replace them with the Rubber Valve Stemmed TPMSensors if I were you.

I am going to replace the other two remaining TMPSensors because I don't trust them to hold up.

2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Fyi.... I filed a complaint on http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and I have been searching through the results and apparently MANY people have had the same EXACT problem that I have had.

If anyone else has had an issue like mien, I highly suggest you go there and write up a complaint, too.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

This is the first time I have heard of this.
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
tom19511
2006 WK 

My spare corroded and literally crumbled. I had Conrads replace it for about $100.00. He said he was surprised it lasted that long, as they will fail at one point..
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511 View Post
My spare corroded and literally crumbled. I had Conrads replace it for about $100.00. He said he was surprised it lasted that long, as they will fail at one point..
Looking at the pieces I have left, I guess that is what happened. There is all this white stuff on the threads which I guess is corrosion/oxidation?

I guess that's why they switched to the rubber sensors.
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCK View Post
Haven't been round the board lately, but I just had a problem that I need to share.

My Tire Pressure Sensor broke while driving on the highway at 70mph. This is the second TPMS that failed on me. Is their some defect with them?

Here's what happened:
I was driving back home on the parkway this past weekend. I was driving 70-80 MPH (which is normal highway speed here in NJ). I drifted slightly over to the left and hit the rumble strips.

Apparently, this must have knocked something out of whack because my TPMS light came on. I immediately got over and miraculously, there was an exit right where I was and I got off the highway.

Upon inspection, I realized my tire has like 5psi left in it, but it wasn't deflating anymore. Investigating this more, there is a screw that goes around the metal valve stem on the outside of the Tire Pressure Sensor. The screw had broken off and the TPS was just held in place by the air pressure inside the tire.

Now, this could have been real bad, but thanks to advanced warning, I am still here to tell about it. But this is the SECOND TIME this has happened.

I got a flat last year and now I think a TPMS failure was the cause of my previous flat tire, too.

Has anyone else had any problem with their Tire Pressure Sensors? I think this is a major safety issue and Chrysler should address this.

I see that Chrysler has new sensors with rubber valve stems. The ones with the metal valve stem are the ones that broke. I think that Chrysler should give us all new rubber TPMS sensors. This could be a serious issue. I could have easily gotten into an accident or worse because the TPMS failed.

So be warned if you have the metal valve stem TPMSensors. I would replace them with the Rubber Valve Stemmed TPMSensors if I were you.

I am going to replace the other two remaining TMPSensors because I don't trust them to hold up.
Your location is your issue,corrosion.Wash your vehicle more often in the winter.
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Your location is your issue,corrosion.Wash your vehicle more often in the winter.
Possibly, however, our winters have been quite mild lately. I usually do wash the Jeep quite often, however, I am the second owner, so I can not vouch for the first owner (I will say, the paint looks brand new and it looks like it has been well taken care of before me).

The Jeep is also garage kept at home and at work.

Even so, it must be quite a poorly manufactured part if it will fail after such a short time - winter weather or not. My Jeep is only 4 years old. Parts shouldn't be corroding and falling apart so soon.

If this piece can't take the weather, then I have to wonder what else is corroding and will fall apart, too.
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Possibly, however, our winters have been quite mild lately. I usually do wash the Jeep quite often, however, I am the second owner, so I can not vouch for the first owner (I will say, the paint looks brand new and it looks like it has been well taken care of before me).

The Jeep is also garage kept at home and at work.

Even so, it must be quite a poorly manufactured part if it will fail after such a short time - winter weather or not. My Jeep is only 4 years old. Parts shouldn't be corroding and falling apart so soon.

If this piece can't take the weather, then I have to wonder what else is corroding and will fall apart, too.
Parking in a garage in the winter is actually worse then keeping it outside.The higher temps in the garage(even when not heated) makes the corrosion start faster,freezing temps actually slows down the corrosion a little.I've had those alloy sensors break just by taking the valve cap off when it's 5 degrees outside,brand new vehicles also.They wanted to keep the weight down for balancing ease.The rubber vale stemmed sensors are not much better as you can not un-do the sensor and push it into the tire before dismounting which will result in more sensors being broke,granted more of a issue on low profile tires.
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

I purchased my '07 CRD new, and it has been outside in Wisconsin ever since. With 75,000 miles on it, the metal valve stems don't look new anymore, but they're all solid and OK so far. The chrome-clad wheels are another story...the bead area on three of them has gotten crusty enough that they have slow leaks. I'll be replacing them soon with a refurbished set of the '08 six-spoke wheels, and in preparation for that I ordered a set of four replacement OEM VDO metal-stemmed sensors (SE10001HP REDI-Sensor, 314.9/315MHz) off of Amazon for less than $34 each. I hadn't heard about any problem with them weakening from corrosion, so...

You folks have me wondering now if maybe my slow-leak problem is not my rim beads after all, but possibly the stem seals. Before ordering those wheels, I'm going to have verify where the leaks are really coming from.

By the way, VDO's installation instructions for these sensors specifies a torque value of 8Nm (71 in/lb) for the stem retention nut/sleeve. When I'm holding the nut/sleeve in my hand, it looks and feels as though it's made of aluminum, but the VDO instruction sheet (dated 1.2013) says that it's made of plastic...perhaps a concession to a possible corrosion issue? If it's plastic, it must be macho plastic, as they caution that over torquing can break the metal valve stem! They also state that both the valve core and stem cap, while appearing similar to a conventional parts, are in fact different and should only be replaced with the correct VDO parts. If you care, valve core torque is specified at 0.3Nm (2.7 in/lb)...

Last edited by 1dzlwk; 08-10-2013 at 05:32 PM..
1dzlwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
GeeEssFore

Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep TPMS are a huge issue. I replace in a day atleast 2-3 cracked stems or sensor nuts on these products. The aftermarket metal ones are a different type of metal and are alot nicer and easy on the pocket. I you guys need any TPMS i sell at cost to members. $25 a piece or $85 shipped for set
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
tom19511
2006 WK 

@GeeEssFore Conrads said that sensors for these vehicles do not require any sort of activation.. Is this true ?
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
GeeEssFore

Nope just install and drive for 10-15mins. The spares sometimes require a scan tool
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

There's issues with them more than just everyday corrosion.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/chan...desktop-view=1

Nissan uses a very similar if not the same nut to retain.

The only valve stem breaking off that I have seen is due to owners not material. If you put the metal valve caps on you cause dissimilar corrosion. One day the valve cap will appear to be stuck and you will snap it off due to corrosion from the aftermarket valve cap same goes for the valve stem. Use the original caps and valve stems and you won't have any problems.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

The original caps also have a moisture seal inside, which is another reason why VDO recommends against replacing them with conventional caps...
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Looking at the pieces I have left, I guess that is what happened. There is all this white stuff on the threads which I guess is corrosion/oxidation?

I guess that's why they switched to the rubber sensors.
A guy at Discount Tire told me to use only plastic caps on the stems as using metal caps cause the corrosion.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.