TPMS question with new wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > TPMS question with new wheels

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 05-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Bullitt1680
2006 WK 

TPMS question with new wheels

I plan on buying new wheels in the near future, most likely a set of Moabs as soon as I find some locally.

This is the first time I have had a vehicle with TPMS. Would I have to take the sensors from my existing wheels and install them into the new wheels, or could I just run them without the sensors?

Is there something for the Grand Cherokee similar to the AEV Pro Cal for the JKs?

I could care less about a warning light or message that says "low pressor in X wheel" I just don't want to have the Jeep run in limp mode like I have seen happen on some other vehicles with these sensors.

CLIFF NOTES
new wheels soon
can I transfer existing TPMS sensors
can I turn off the sensors all together

Bullitt1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
84foxgt
2007 WK 

I can answer two of the three questions. Yes, you can swap the sensors in between wheels. No sensors means the light will be on. It will not put into any kind of limp mode.
2007 v6: Rough Country kit, Aries taillight gaurds, 2457517 Wrangler Silent Armors, LED interior lights, painted oe wheels Gunmetal, Topline 1.5" wheel spacers,SOLID rear diff cover,CREE backup lights,Hypertech Programmer
84foxgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Bullitt1680
2006 WK 

Thanks for the info.
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
tlash10

Just make sure that when you change your wheels, that the sensors go back to the same spot that you took them off. For example the sensor that you take of the LF has to go back on the LF. If you dont everything will be out of wack.
tlash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash10 View Post
Just make sure that when you change your wheels, that the sensors go back to the same spot that you took them off. For example the sensor that you take of the LF has to go back on the LF. If you dont everything will be out of wack.
That doesn't make a difference. When I rotate my tires I don't pull my TPMS sensors from the wheels to keep them in their current position.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
That doesn't make a difference. When I rotate my tires I don't pull my TPMS sensors from the wheels to keep them in their current position.
Yeah, that would make rotating my tires incredibly difficult.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

1: The system will auto learn the location.

2: without sensors, you will get more that just a light. You will also get an annoying "chime" every time you start the vehicle, and a message that will take over your evic display
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Bullitt1680
2006 WK 

Lol I already have a message because the spare is low apparently. I just need to convince AEV to make something like they make for the JKs. You can set it to read the pressure at 0 psi.
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure what kind of safety inspection is required in your state, but you may want to check that they can fail your inspection if the TPMS isn't operating before you decide to leave them off... Not uncommon to require all vehicle safety systems to be operational for a state safety inspection.

JW
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Bullitt1680
2006 WK 

No inspections here whatsoever.
Unread 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Jorghole
2005 WK 

So I changed my wheels when I got the lift installed. The new wheels had new sensors installed. When I left the shop that installed the lift and the wheels they were reading but before I got home i got that chime and all sensors were dash lines. At times the Drivers Front indicates 29 psi and the others are still dashed lines. I have 36 psi in all 4 tires right now. I looked at the sales receipt and the sensors i got are 315 MHz. Any ideas?
2005 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, 4" SL Lift, Rusty's leveling kit, DC Gun Metal wheels, 285/70-17 BFG AT KO, 4xGuard Front/Rear Skid, 4xGuard Diff Guard, SA Sliders, Gobi Rack, Cobra CB
Silver WK Club Member 55
Jorghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
longboy
2006 WK 

The sensors don't sound like they're the right ones, did they come with the wheels or were they new from the tire shop? I thought you were moving your WK sensors from your old wheels to the new ones?

I just checked WKjeeps.com and your 2005 should use 315mhz sensors like you got.

::edit:: Sorry, got you confused with the OP-

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.