TPMS problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > TPMS problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
djeepr
2008 WK 

TPMS problem

Hello everyone,

great annoying problem with my GC 08 CRD.......... with the rain the TPMS show up the alert "check system" for several days. The dealer says that have changed all receivers without results. I have checked all wires for little scratch and splice but nothing.
Some suggestion?

Thanks for any suggestion.

djeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
TheTrot

"Check TPM System" Errors can be caused by a few things.

One is a bad "Trigger" module (your car has three).

Second is a LIN problem (this is how the "Trigger" communicated to the WIN/WCM)

Third is that your Sensors are not communicating with the "Triggers" but are communicating with the WIN/WCM. This gets you pressures, but doesn't get the car to "Auto-Localize" the sensors (to put them in the correct locations).

What faults did the dealer find? Because they will lead you to one of the above three cases.
TheTrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
djeepr
2008 WK 

There is two active DTC U1117 and C151D but the strange is that after few days of sun all work fine with nothing DTC.

The dealer said that has changed all three receivers and two rear whells sensor

During the rain show up the alert but I can see the correct pressure of all whells.

Thanks
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
TheTrot

C151D is Tire Pressure Location Undetermined Fault. That means that the sensors are not "Auto-Localizing"

It looks like you have a problem with your sensors transmitting to your Triggers under certain conditions.

Note: To have that fault set you must have THREE CONSECUTIVE failures. A failure is defined as driving for a 20 minute period (above 15 MPH, not consecutively but within the same ignition cycle), then waiting 15 minutes (or longer) and repeating. There is a counter that keeps track of this internally, a pass (meaning everything works) resets the counter.

Ask your dealer if they ran the TPM Trigger Test to verify that the triggers are working.
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
ROMEO69
2007 XK Commander 

It may be a long shot, but have you check the pressure for the spare tire? It may be right at the limit, to when there is a change on tempeture makes the alarm go off...
ROMEO69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
TheTrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMEO69 View Post
It may be a long shot, but have you check the pressure for the spare tire? It may be right at the limit, to when there is a change on tempeture makes the alarm go off...
On a Premium TPM 5-Tire System it will say "Spare Pressure Low" on the display. "Check TPM System" appears only when there is a problem that causes the car to not "Auto-Localize" the Tires.

Check TPM also does not illuminate the TPM bulb.
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Psyco6string
2007 WK 

Had the same problem on my 07. Turned out to be the aftermarket iPod interface from P.I.E. When the Ipod was plugged in to unit TPMS would fault at passenger rear tire. When iPod was disconnected from unit it worked fine-It also messed with the auto start, lock/unlock from the key transmitter like it is creating some electronic interference or messing with the can-bus. Still use it but I have to remove the iPod when leaving the truck if I want to use the key transmitter .Drove me crazy for 2 days until I figured it out. Called PIE and the have no answers except that they did notice that their unit does limit the range of the transmitters when Ipod is plugged in.
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
robpp

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have seen posts on other WK boards saying the iPhone 3G casues TPMS issues as well.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
TheTrot

I use the MOPAR UConnect for my 2008, no issues (I have an iPhone 3G).

Now 2005-2007 and 2008-2010 use different frequencies.

The WCM is 315 MHz in the US/Canada/Mexico & Japan, and 433 MHz in Europe/Export
The WIN is 433 MHz in US/Canada/Mexico & Europe/Export, and 315 MHz in Japan.

TPM sensors are on the same frequency as the WCM/WIN (as it is used to pick up TPM).
Unread 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
djeepr
2008 WK 

Very interesting..... and thanks for yours help.

No! I don't have any ipod, iPhone or electronic interface and my premium TPMS don't have the spare wheel sensor. I think that in Italy Jeep have saved money...... TPMS only for four wheels.

However the problem show up only with the rain and in the dry all work fine.
....But...today I have seen the schematic wiring and the connector location and I have seen that the connector C105 which is wet because it's near the right wheel. And ...thinking about it ...... sometimes entering a puddle show up also the lights on diplay of front park assist.

In the connector are presents all cables of COM-LIN TPM LAN and all of the park assist. Maybe that the connector is the problem?..... I try to seal it and close all openings in the left wheel house splash shield.

I look with the next rain and I'll let you know soon.

Ciao
Unread 04-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
TheTrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeepr View Post
Very interesting..... and thanks for yours help.

No! I don't have any ipod, iPhone or electronic interface and my premium TPMS don't have the spare wheel sensor. I think that in Italy Jeep have saved money...... TPMS only for four wheels.

However the problem show up only with the rain and in the dry all work fine.
....But...today I have seen the schematic wiring and the connector location and I have seen that the connector C105 which is wet because it's near the right wheel. And ...thinking about it ...... sometimes entering a puddle show up also the lights on diplay of front park assist.

In the connector are presents all cables of COM-LIN TPM LAN and all of the park assist. Maybe that the connector is the problem?..... I try to seal it and close all openings in the left wheel house splash shield.

I look with the next rain and I'll let you know soon.

Ciao
I'd also check the actual connector on your trigger module. There is only one rear trigger. You need to lay on your back and feel up the side of the (inside of) drivers (left) wheel well for it.

I have to disconnect them during TPM testing so I know it is reachable, although annoying to get to.
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
dalefan4lyf
2007 WK 

The Chrysler TPMS system SUCKS in all forms. I have had nothing but problems with both chrysler products it has been installed on! The dealers (5 in total) have never been able to find an issue and this has been an on going thing for 6 months now!
dalefan4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
TheTrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalefan4lyf View Post
The Chrysler TPMS system SUCKS in all forms. I have had nothing but problems with both chrysler products it has been installed on! The dealers (5 in total) have never been able to find an issue and this has been an on going thing for 6 months now!
Any TPM System sucks when you have issues. The Government mandates they have to follow are ridiculous. These are nannies that I don't like having (I do like my ABS, TCS and ESP).
Unread 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
djeepr
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrot View Post
I'd also check the actual connector on your trigger module. There is only one rear trigger. You need to lay on your back and feel up the side of the (inside of) drivers (left) wheel well for it.

I have to disconnect them during TPM testing so I know it is reachable, although annoying to get to.
I'd checked the rear trigger and connector. All is in perfect condition. The weather forecast of monday are rain and thunderstorms. I wait it....
Unread 04-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
merlinTec

Need to check the wiring back from the rear sensor about 2 inches or so not just in the plug, Give the wiring a little pull never hurts. I have had this and on some of ours it shut down the lin bus and it stops the jeep from starting.
Regards,
Merlin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.