TPMS issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > TPMS issues

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
toycarrier

TPMS issues

So the CRD made it to WI and back on a pretty amazing 3,000 mile journey. While we were in Northern WI, temps got down to -24 degrees Fahrenheit. Absolutely freezing cold. It was cold enough that my locks didn't want to unlock for a minute haha. Anyways, the morning it was that cold out we were leaving to head back home to VA. Pretty much right away I ran into a TPMS issue that is still a problem now (back in VA).

After the Jeep warmed up for about 10 minutes at idle, we drove down the long drive way and all of the sudden the dash screen to the tire pressure monitor screen and the light flashed. It showed no readings for either tire on the left side of the vehicle. I figured something was frozen so we just kept on our way. Well, the ice eventually all melted off by WV but the sensors never came back to life. Still showing no readings out of the left side of the Jeep. What should I start checking? Are they more than likely bad since nothing is being shown except for -- on both?

Thanks guys!
Jeff

toycarrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Mine have went berserk before as well - usually snow/ice/heavy rain and they will flash --- (as in no reading). I have never had them go bonkers for that many miles though. I would wash the wheels/wells really well - actually the whole Jeep since you went through salt land from WI to VA. Then I would un-hook battery for a few minutes and re-connect. Vehicles are after all dozens of computers all chunked together and need a time out to square up. I would also imagine you had to inflate your tires after a day in WI due to temp being that low - would likley drop PSI by 3-4 psi easy. Mine trip at 28-29 psi.
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would guess start by checking the actual sensors on the wheels? If they froze up, maybe they are permanently damaged. The fact that you are getting no reading (vs. an incorrect reading) would lead me to believe the sensors are inoperable.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
toycarrier

I've been ignoring this issue for a bit too long now. Is there anything else to check out? For both sensors on the left side to go out immediately i'm thinking it's something farther down the line than the sensors themselves. Is there a fuse or anything like that I can check for the left bank?

Thanks,
Jeff
toycarrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
ducktail
2009 WK 

They do go bad and maybe the cold just finished them off.

I have found out that the aftermarket ones I have are not near as good as factory.
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycarrier View Post
I've been ignoring this issue for a bit too long now. Is there anything else to check out? For both sensors on the left side to go out immediately i'm thinking it's something farther down the line than the sensors themselves. Is there a fuse or anything like that I can check for the left bank?

Thanks,
Jeff
Assuming of course you checked your tire pressures with a guage then I would get the codes read and see if that tells you anything .You can try the key dance , but i'm not sure if you'll get anything from just the PCM as codes stored should be in the WCM. You have 3 receivers in the premium system - 1 in each front wheel well and 1 in the right rear . The left rear is assumed by the WCM through process of elimination . Because your problem is with the left side , i will guess and say the problem is with your front -right wheel well receiver . The left also goes out because now the WCM cannot tell the difference between front and rear anymore . I would pull the wheel well liner and look at the Reciever connections and wires if nothing can be detirmined with the fault codes. You will have to bend the wires right at all the connectors and possibly the entry into the Receiver and see if they are broken. It can be tricky to spot so have a good flashlight . Also take any connectors apart and make sure they are clean and dry .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
Clirry
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktail View Post
They do go bad and maybe the cold just finished them off.

I have found out that the aftermarket ones I have are not near as good as factory.
Heck yeah! I got 4 aftermarkets (doorman) went to dealer like 4 times to get them fixed properly. apparently they broke one tpms and replaced w cheap rubber stem. one tpms still leak slowly like overnight and 3-6 psi loss. I literally air it up every mornings. other 2 tpms are good.
Unread 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
DeChache
2003 WJ 

The first big cold snap we had here took out 2 of the TPMS sensors on my wifes WK. Don't know what year your Jeep is, but the sensors only tend to last 5-6 years before they fail.
DeChache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChache View Post
The first big cold snap we had here took out 2 of the TPMS sensors on my wifes WK. Don't know what year your Jeep is, but the sensors only tend to last 5-6 years before they fail.
What happens when the TPMS get's taken out? The reason I ask is I just bought a used 05 LTD Hemi (which according to WKJeeps.com, has the base TPMS as standard with the Prem as optional), and when I goto the TPMS screen in the EVIC it doesn't display anything (not 1 wheels, not 4 wheels, not even an error, just a blank screen). I'm wondering if the previous owner let all 4 sensors die and didn't replace. Would I get an error if they removed all the TPMS sensors entirely?

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited WK - Black, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.73
Black WK Club Member #122 | HEMI Club Member #87
jtodaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

There is also a TB flash for the wireless unit on these for the constant TPMS message. My rear passenger loses connection all the time, even after rotation.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Think mine is related to the TPMS light that just came on (since I'm new to this WK, I didn't know what the light was till I looked it up). Will check pressure and see if it goes off. Odd that my 05 Ltd Hemi didn't have the premium TPMS option. Will see what my build sheet says when I get it back from Chrysler Cust Assistance.

Unread 02-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodaro View Post
Think mine is related to the TPMS light that just came on (since I'm new to this WK, I didn't know what the light was till I looked it up). Will check pressure and see if it goes off. Odd that my 05 Ltd Hemi didn't have the premium TPMS option. Will see what my build sheet says when I get it back from Chrysler Cust Assistance.
My limited Hemi doesn't have the premium system so If you have a TPMS screen in the EVIC then you HAVE the premium system .
That screen doesn't exist with the base system .
On mine with no sensors in my winter rims, the TPMS light chimes when i first start the vehicle and then goes away after a few mi . It comes back solid every now and then . Most times it doesn't ding , but once in awhile on a longer ~60 mi drive it will ding once .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
toycarrier

I'm not sure if this is going to work or not but i've swapped my passenger side rear tire with my drivers side front tire to see if I can get a signal from the TPMS. Pulled the negative terminal from the battery, now just waiting and will go check. Will I need to drive on the system for a bit so it "learns" ?
Unread 02-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycarrier View Post
I'm not sure if this is going to work or not but i've swapped my passenger side rear tire with my drivers side front tire to see if I can get a signal from the TPMS. Pulled the negative terminal from the battery, now just waiting and will go check. Will I need to drive on the system for a bit so it "learns" ?
You technically are not supposed to do that IF you have directional tires (should only swap front to back, same side).

With that being said, good luck and I hope that confirms whats going on.

Unread 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
toycarrier

I hear ya, this is a temporary thing to figure out if it's a bad sensor or some other problem. I've got new tires and a lift waiting to go on. I just want to figure this TPMS issue out before I have new tires mounted and balanced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.