Tpms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tpms

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Tpms

I got a new sensor put on my 05 limited at the dealership bc the "service tire pressure system" light was on and they said I needed one on the spare wheel/tire. I left the dealership and the light came back on, is there a procedure to set the sensor or do I need to take it back?

Thanks

lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Anon155
2005 WK 

It should reset after 10 miles or so. It does it automatically once it reads the sensor. They may have put the wrong frequency in by mistake. I'd take it back if the code doesn't clear. Hopefully you didn't have more than 1 go bad.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155
It should reset after 10 miles or so. It does it automatically once it reads the sensor. They may have put the wrong frequency in by mistake. I'd take it back if the code doesn't clear. Hopefully you didn't have more than 1 go bad.
Well my display reads all4 tire pressures so I think they're alright I'm assuming its the spare then. I actually bought it from someone here on the forum so hopefully it's the right frequency. I'll put a few more miles on and see how it looks.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Anon155
2005 WK 

Yeah there's 2 different frequencies Jeep uses. 315mhz and 433mhz I believe. Your 05 should use the 315. You may also check the air pressure in the spare. If they didn't fill it up to the right pressure, that could be the reason it's going off. But I doubt the dealer would make that mistake...
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155
Yeah there's 2 different frequencies Jeep uses. 315mhz and 433mhz I believe. Your 05 should use the 315. You may also check the air pressure in the spare. If they didn't fill it up to the right pressure, that could be the reason it's going off. But I doubt the dealer would make that mistake...
Spoke to the dealer today and they claimed I have a 2007 so maybe they input that in the programming of the new sensor and that caused the mistake bc I most def have a 2005. I will check the air in the spare but I would have assumed they filled it up unless it isn't holding air. Wouldn't that trigger the dash light though?
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Anon155
2005 WK 

If it wasn't holding air it would trigger the dash light once psi is below the acceptable range for the tpms. There shouldn't be any need for programming of a new sensor.....It should automatically sync up to the cars computer after driving it like I said. Even if the dealer thought your jeep was an 07, I believe they still used the same frequency that year. The sensor is either bad, or the wrong frequency. Thats the only 2 logical things I can think of.
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155 View Post
If it wasn't holding air it would trigger the dash light once psi is below the acceptable range for the tpms. There shouldn't be any need for programming of a new sensor.....It should automatically sync up to the cars computer after driving it like I said. Even if the dealer thought your jeep was an 07, I believe they still used the same frequency that year. The sensor is either bad, or the wrong frequency. Thats the only 2 logical things I can think of.
That's true , but the replacement is in the spare. . The dealership may have to "wake up " the sensor, if they were even right in replacing it in the first place . I would take it back , in fact they would have seen my P.O'd butt again as soon as that light came back on.
here's the info from the service manual
Good luck

The battery operated tire pressure sensors lay dormant (Park Mode), then wake and start transmitting (Drive Mode)
when the vehicle first reaches speeds over 20 mph (32 km/h). Once the wheels stop rotating for a period of approximately
20 minutes, the sensors shut down until again awaken. Although not transmitting as when in Drive Mode,
while in Park Mode, the sensors still transmit approximately once every 13 hours to let the receiver know air pressure
status at that time.
Using an RF signal, each sensor transmits tire pressure data approximately once every minute. Each sensorís
(transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the wireless control module (WCM) can monitor the state of each
of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The WCM automatically learns and stores the sensorís ID while
driving after a sensor has been replaced. There is no formal retraining procedure necessary.
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
GeeEssFore

They will either have to program it with the scan tool or if they put it on the drive tire for a few miles it will relearn. Sometimes spares are a pain to get woken up and auto relearn. We usually just program them with a scan tool
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

You can just put the spare on and check its integrity as if it were in the mainstream.

I got the Service TPMS System warning on the WJ, and I too thought that it was the spare that was causing problem because the other four sensors appeared to be reading out normal. I swapped the spare sensor. It reprogrammed fine, but the message remained. I swapped out the EVIC. During that process, I found that the driver front sensor was slow to relearn. I ended up swapping out that sensor on a hunch, and everything went back to normal.

It seems as though one sensor that is just going bad will trip the message, but it may continue to read normal pressures for a while. When in doubt, swap out active sensors, particularly if they are nine or ten years old.

I did not need to use any tool to program the sensors. I used a local tire shop to install the sensors. I did the relearn stuff myself using the EVIC and the Jeep-supplied magnet.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman
You can just put the spare on and check its integrity as if it were in the mainstream.

I got the Service TPMS System warning on the WJ, and I too thought that it was the spare that was causing problem because the other four sensors appeared to be reading out normal. I swapped the spare sensor. It reprogrammed fine, but the message remained. I swapped out the EVIC. During that process, I found that the driver front sensor was slow to relearn. I ended up swapping out that sensor on a hunch, and everything went back to normal.

It seems as though one sensor that is just going bad will trip the message, but it may continue to read normal pressures for a while. When in doubt, swap out active sensors, particularly if they are nine or ten years old.

I did not need to use any tool to program the sensors. I used a local tire shop to install the sensors. I did the relearn stuff myself using the EVIC and the Jeep-supplied magnet.
Funny you said that because the dealer told me that my front driver one is also going even though it is reading the correct pressure on my dash. Oh well, I'll have to order another one.
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

lafacej, what's the name of the dealership you are using?
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge
lafacej, what's the name of the dealership you are using?
Monroeville Chrysler Jeep and Dodge. You think when I had them check on the light and out a sensor in they would have actually checked that the sensors worked properly. Curious, why do you ask?
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I worked in Monroeville for six years, but never used the Jeep dealer. My first Jeep ('97 ZJ) came to me in '99 one year after leaving Monroeville. I have been driving Jeeps ever since.

Regarding testing the sensor, they may be intermittent. They may show up good one minute and bad the next. If you have old sensors and TPMS issues, then the first step should be to swap out sensors.

If that does not work, then move on to electronic module issues.
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

I've heard bad things and good things regarding Monroeville Jeep. Of course, Jim Shorkey (who I have my warranty through) isn't wowing me either with their service.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.