towing with my 2005 WK Rocky Mountain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > towing with my 2005 WK Rocky Mountain

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

towing with my 2005 WK Rocky Mountain

Hey tomorrow I want to go pick up a wrangler. I am going to get a double axle trailer from uhaul and tow about 44 miles. My jeep is a 4.7 model and I know its tow rating is up to 6500 lbs. The wrangler is 3400lbs and the trailer is 2200. 5600 lbs is within reasonable range. Has anyone experienced a setup like the one im describing and willing to give me any heads up? thanks!

rippinlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
afhanson72

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I tow about 6k lbs with my 05 limited. I have the 5.7 engine. You'll be fine with your rig. The only trouble I have is highway speeds uphill. The engine will downshift and rev high to keep speed. In town, I have zero issues. I've towed as far as Wyoming from Las Vegas with it!

94 YJ - Plenty of mods
afhanson72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
wkldr
2008 WK 

Be mindful of tongue weights - and keep the trailer properly loaded (keep 60%+ weight forward of the axles) or you can encounter really unpleasant trailer sway. That said I tow a similar set up (track car and steel tandem axle trailer) frequently with my 5.7 - no problems. As afhanason72 says, you'll notice the transmission kick down on steep grades, but not an issue. Also be mindful of breaking distances as they will increase quite a bit. Although I don't, it's advisable to keep the speeds reasonable too. Good luck.
Hemi Club #77, BT Oil Catch Can - Expanded Sheet Metal Grill - GLT V1 Mount - Custom front shackle mounts - 2" BB - 1.5" spacers - JK Rubicon wheels - 265/70 BFG AT's - Cobra 75 CB - Hemifever Diablo Sport Tune
wkldr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I made the trek. The jeeps braking and handling did great. Getting up hills was a little challenging. Didn't realize how important momentum was for getting up at times I was in 1st gear doing 15 mph while traffic blew by
rippinlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
afhanson72

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well that's why they made flashers!:-)

94 YJ - Plenty of mods
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Drewd

Glad to see you made it and your experience validates my purchase of a diesel CRD with 442 ft-lbs torque (got a hot tune) the only time I see 15mph is when pulling off to a fuel station ;-)

I love my CRD towing a 26 foot camper up mountain passes in the left lane passing gasses who can barely eak out 30mph while I'm doing 60mph on the same grade!
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

Get a set of Firestone coil rites and call it a day!

4108.jpg
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
afhanson72

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK View Post
Get a set of Firestone coil rites and call it a day!
Is that the actual picture of the kit for a 2005-2010 Grand? I ordered it and the airbags are only about 5" tall. I called the distributor and they said the kit I ordered (p/n 4157) is the correct one. The bags just look too short! The picture is what they sent me.
20140421_172803.jpg

94 YJ - Plenty of mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.