Towing 6'x12' UHaul trailer behind 2007 4.7L 4x4 Laredo Limited with Factory hitch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Towing 6'x12' UHaul trailer behind 2007 4.7L 4x4 Laredo Limited with Factory hitch

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Where did this fan discussion come from. It's not part of the trailer group.

The XK 4.7l and 3.7l uses only one fan PN.

http://www.mopar.com/part/05143208AA...2491148&b=jeep

Trailer Towing — Trailer Tow Group, Class II includes frame-mounted receiver hitch, wiring harness, 4-pin adapter and Trailer Sway Control (requires V6)
— Trailer Tow Group, Class IV includes frame-mounted receiver hitch, wiring harness, 7- and 4-pin adapter and Trailer Sway Control (requires V8 or diesel engines)

http://www.wkjeeps.com/brochures/2008_wk_brochure.pdf

Now where have I found that there is a towing trans cooler or increased capacity radiator other than whats normally installed.

10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post

http://www.mopar.com/part/05143208AA...2491148&b=jeep

Trailer Towing — Trailer Tow Group, Class II includes frame-mounted receiver hitch, wiring harness, 4-pin adapter and Trailer Sway Control (requires V6)
— Trailer Tow Group, Class IV includes frame-mounted receiver hitch, wiring harness, 7- and 4-pin adapter and Trailer Sway Control (requires V8 or diesel engines)

http://www.wkjeeps.com/brochures/2008_wk_brochure.pdf
That is class II, is it the same for class IV?

Nevermind, just read it again!

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post

Negatory. Beginning with the 2007 model year, Jeep shifted to using one of two fans on the 4.7:
A light-duty cooling fan for standard vehicles.
A heavy-duty cooling fan for Class IV vehicles.

A vehicle which did not ship with a Class IV receiver needs the upgraded fan, Mopar P/N 82210991, to achieve the 6500# capacity.
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj

Negatory. Beginning with the 2007 model year, Jeep shifted to using one of two fans on the 4.7:
A light-duty cooling fan for standard vehicles.
A heavy-duty cooling fan for Class IV vehicles.

A vehicle which did not ship with a Class IV receiver needs the upgraded fan, Mopar P/N 82210991, to achieve the 6500# capacity.
It's only showing as 2010, odd.

http://www.mopar.com/en/search_results/?q=82210991

Edit: Found it! 07 thru 2010 You are correct, sorry. Learn something every day!

http://www.mopar.com/part/82210991
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
dorelse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Every Jeep owner should have the build sheet.

You can get it through email from the "Owners" section of the Jeep website.

P.S. It's free. The novelty of something free for your Jeep should be incentive enough!
I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

I do have the build sheet, and got it before purchasing the XJ. I'm only towing an 18' bowrider, weighing in less than 3k, fully loaded...so its not like I have any real concerns.

I have tons of experience towing so I'm not really concerned about that either honestly. I just like knowing what I have, what my limits are etc.

But if I can add that fan and increase my tow capacity by that much, I'll do it just for the added safety margin for the motor & tranny.
dorelse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
buckeyexx
2006 WK 

I would watch pulling a uhaul trailer that far. Im sure you don't have much choice but to pull one but if you must then make sure you load that thing right. They like to walk around on you if you don't load it correctly and make sure there isn't any room for the load to shift. Not trying to worry you but I think there are actual law suits against them for causing vehicles to spin out of control. I can say first hand that this is true because it happened to me traveling on I75 going to florida. Everything was going ok until about half way through the trip it just started whipping from side to side and spun me around in the middle of the highway doing about 65 mph. Still to this day I really don't know what happened because when I opened the door everything was in place. Luckily nothing serious happened besides the front bumper of my truck hitting the guard rail so I was able to drive on doing under 60. I know a few people will say oh you just don't know how to pull or load a trailer but I have pulled numerous trailers in my life and I have never had that happen to me before or since then. A lot bigger and heavier. The 45 mph stickers are on there to cover there butts and when your traveling over 1000 miles I don't think anybody is going to go that slow. With all that being said good luck and be safe.
buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
adopttwins
2007 WK 

So here's the latest: Tranny cooler is in line. No issues, so I'm going with it. I'm going to buy an RC 6 x 14 with ramp and side door and then sell it when I get to Calif. From what little time I've had to inquire, trailers are at a premium because they cost too much to transport and not many are manufactured out there. Thanks again for the tip!
adopttwins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
adopttwins
2007 WK 

Anybody reading this in Calif. and want the trailer (Orange county delivery on August 16th), reply here.
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
dorelse

Best wishes on your cross country trip!
dorelse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #25
adopttwins
2007 WK 

One more question all:

For those of you who have towed a lot - any more you can contribute is much appreciated. For instance, in the tow mode, it moves the tranny into 5th gear. Are there any issues with downshifting manually vs. letting the tranny do it when you accelerate?
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
LouC
2007 WK 

The trans will shift fine in tow/haul mode itself but you might want to downshift a gear or two on down hill grades to get more engine braking.
Is the trailer new or used?
Does this trailer have brakes? If so you need an electric brake controller. I would give the trailer a good going over. Check the lights, bearings, springs, tires and brakes if it has them. Get a spare tire+rim a jack that will work on the trailer and the right size lug wrench (13/16ths I think). The Jeep lugs are 3/4 or 19mm so the Jeep wrench won't work.
Make sure the tires are properly inflated, lug nuts are torqued and most of the heavy stuff is forward of the trailer axle. Get the right drop hitch so it tows level. Watch out when busses or semis pass you because that can move the trailer around.
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #27
adopttwins
2007 WK 

TRailer is brand new. No brakes. It's a very light 6'x16' and the hitch and ball. Good advice on the spare tire and jack/wrench. As for the tow mode, nothing more than just pressing the tow/haul button? Seems too simple.
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #28
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

I'm pulling a 5x10 uhaul right now to move furniture across boulder county and its doing wonderfully even with the lift and 32" tires. I have the tow package but I took off the clutch fan due to it having some problems a while back. I do keep an eye on my temp but it stays in a pretty good spot. I think eventually ill look into getting a better electric fan to replace the factory fan. Towing stock would only be better. I used to do it when I worked on lawns

2005 4.7 2" lift 275/65/18

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #29
LouC
2007 WK 

Yep just push the button. If you have a long down grade down shift to 4th or 3rd for engine braking.
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #30
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

If the trailer has brakes and you get a brake controller, don't go cheap. Get one that is proportional, such as a Tekonsha, rather than one that is timed like a Reese Brakeman, Curt, or Draw-Tite.

You can pick up a Tekonsha Primus IQ for under $100 through Amazon, and they make plug and play harnesses (I think we use the 5506 harness).

Timed controllers are only good for flat terrain, in any sort of hilly area they suck.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2007 , grand cherokee , tow capacity , uhaul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.