Tow Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tow Help

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
commander13

Tow Help

I own a 2006 Commander 65 Anniversary v6 and want to tow a Camper. I have an excellent opportunity to get a 69 Airstream Camper CHEAP. I need to know if there is anything I can do to increase the tow capability. I read the max is 3500lbs but I need to tow 5000lbs. Please help if possible.

commander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
cmd peej

Sad to say that you probably will have to either trade the V6 for a V8 or get a smaller camper. If you try to tow more that the rated weight (3500#), the first thing you will probably do is burn out your transmission. Personally, I always try to tow with a vehicle that is rated for at least a 1000# more than my trailer weight.
cmd peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
commander13

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response
commander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Tispco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd peej
Sad to say that you probably will have to either trade the V6 for a V8 or get a smaller camper. If you try to tow more that the rated weight (3500#), the first thing you will probably do is burn out your transmission. Personally, I always try to tow with a vehicle that is rated for at least a 1000# more than my trailer weight.
I agree! 5,000 is quite a bit over the limit for the V-6.
Rocky Road Armor

07 RockRed Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7L V-8
QuadraDrive II
Off-Road Package
Tispco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
vandalais

Towed my #4000 pound boat all the time with my old cherokee for 10 years. Engine and tranny were strong until it (jeep) went under last year. So my new grand won't pull what my 10 year old inline six would? Really? Bummer.
vandalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Tispco

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalais
Towed my #4000 pound boat all the time with my old cherokee for 10 years. Engine and tranny were strong until it (jeep) went under last year. So my new grand won't pull what my 10 year old inline six would? Really? Bummer.
The 4.0L inline six w/ auto XJ Cherokee is rated at 5,000 pounds towing capacity. Unfortunately, yes, your new Grand can't tow what your old Cherokee did. I am still holding on to my XJ. They were great Jeeps.
Rocky Road Armor

07 RockRed Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7L V-8
QuadraDrive II
Off-Road Package
Tispco is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.