Tow Haul Mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tow Haul Mode

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Martin610

Tow Haul Mode

Hi,

Just bought a new 2006 Commander with the 4.7 V-8. Great vehicle. I am going to use it to tow my boat.

My GC had an Over Drive lock out button. This jeep has a tow haul mode. It also appears to lock out OD. Does it do anything else?

Martin610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I doubt it... It is prolly just a fancy name for turing your OD off which you should certainly do when towing something as heavy/big as a boat.
Unread 11-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Did you check www.wkjeeps.com and see if they had anything about it?
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
PugetHound

it also changes the shift points to higher rpms.

06 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi !
PugetHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Martin610

Thanks

that was a great link. Looks like it is a bit more sophisticated than the old setup on GC. This from the site:

When To Use "Tow / Haul" Mode

When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the "Tow / Haul" button. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting. When operating in "Tow / Haul" mode, the transmission will shift to 3rd gear and 4th will be enabled under steady cruise conditions.

Tow / Haul Button

The "Tow / Haul" light will illuminate in the instrument cluster to indicate when the switch has been activated. Pressing the switch a second time restores normal operation. If the "Tow / Haul" mode is desired, the switch must be pressed each time the engine is started.

Looks like it goes to 3rd gear automatically, but will auto shift to 4th if conditions permit.

Apepars to be better able to protect itself from overheating.

If it hunts gears on me, I can always use the slapstick and put it in 3rd manually.

Nice enhancement though.

-martin
Martin610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin610
that was a great link. Looks like it is a bit more sophisticated than the old setup on GC. This from the site:

When To Use "Tow / Haul" Mode

When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the "Tow / Haul" button. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting. When operating in "Tow / Haul" mode, the transmission will shift to 3rd gear and 4th will be enabled under steady cruise conditions.

Tow / Haul Button

The "Tow / Haul" light will illuminate in the instrument cluster to indicate when the switch has been activated. Pressing the switch a second time restores normal operation. If the "Tow / Haul" mode is desired, the switch must be pressed each time the engine is started.

Looks like it goes to 3rd gear automatically, but will auto shift to 4th if conditions permit.

Apepars to be better able to protect itself from overheating.

If it hunts gears on me, I can always use the slapstick and put it in 3rd manually.

Nice enhancement though.

-martin

Well I did not have the info but I knew where to find it. the www.wjjeeps.com www.wkjeeps.com www.xkjeeps.com are GREAT web sites and an amazing resource!!!!
Unread 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
wyocommander
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Martin610,
I thought the basic tow/haul mode info. from the site recommended above looked familiar. It appears DC copied it and put it on page 260 of the owner's manual.

There is a great deal of other useful info. in the owner's manual in case you are in a situation where you don't have Net access. Plus it is DC's take on what they designed a particular feature to do. I have found the owner's manual a good place to start, before I look on the Net for what may be a more thorough explanation or help on a feature or topic.
I have used the Tow/Haul mode on several pick ups we have had over the years and it worked well.

We also have an '06 4.7. XK w/ the factory tow package.
wyocommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.