Which Tire Size is Optimal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Which Tire Size is Optimal?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
coophadley
2007 XK Commander 

Which Tire Size is Optimal?

Vehicle: Jeep Commander
Lift: 2" OME HD
Wheels: JK moab wheels with 1.5" spacers
Tire size options(goodyear duratracs): 245/75; 255/75; 265/70 Will any of these rub at 2/3 turn or full turn? what about at full lock?

coophadley is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by coophadley View Post
Vehicle: Jeep Commander
Lift: 2" OME HD
Wheels: JK moab wheels with 1.5" spacers
Tire size options(goodyear duratracs): 245/75; 255/75; 265/70 Will any of these rub at 2/3 turn or full turn? what about at full lock?
Go with 265/70 Goodyear Authority ATs; load range C.

WalMart - virtually the exact same tire as Duratracs for much less $$.

Simply put they are a great tire and I speak from extensive, varied, hard use out of 'em.

Put them on, see where/if you rub, go from there.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

Simply put they are a great tire and I speak from extensive, varied, hard use out of 'em.

What makes you say that they are virtually the same as Duratracs? They have a different tread pattern. Great ratings however, I'm not saying they are bad.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8393
Quote:
Jeep Commanders ranging from the 2" spacer lifts to the 3.5 inch Rock Krawler kit can fit the following tires WITH wheel spacers but will cause minor rubbing: (MINOR TRIMMING OF THE REAR PLASTIC FENDER WELL AND BENDING OVER OF THE PINCH WELD REQUIRED)

255/75R17
265/65R17
265/70R17
Personally I have 255/70r18 (similar to 255/75r17) on 1.5" LIFT on a commander with very minimal rubbing on the pinchweld.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r17-255-75r17

255/75 will be slighly narrower and .5" taller than 265/70r17. I like this size myself.

[IMG][/IMG]
Black WK Club #152
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
BoraBora

2006 WK 

285....beat those pinchwelds back and enjoy.

Build Thread
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Aclow33
2006 WK 

Quote:

Dont buy from Walmart. Buy from a tire shop.
Unread 11-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
TangoTango
2008 WK 

You may want to check these out... in 265/70/17

The new Nitto Grappler "G2"

Guarenteed for 50 or 60k

link is here
http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck...ht-truck-tire/

Black WK Club #147
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
285....beat those pinchwelds back and enjoy.
Having a 2" lift ... and the spacer, the spacer will clear the bolt on the width, I think the 285 will not fit unless the lift goes to 3" .. OR .. a different spacer? Maybe a 3/4" would work?

Once the wheel starts moving around a full clock 285 will hit the pinch weld area even with the pinch well mod .. with the 1.5" spacer.

I have a 2" lift, pinch weld mod, 1.25" spacers and am running 265/70/17 .. and they come very close at full travel.

AND .. with 265 you have to lower the rear skid plate (4xgurad) with spacers.
Black WK Club #147
Unread 11-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
BoraBora

2006 WK 

You can fit them on a 2" lift, there's a few guys running it. I have 1.5" spacers and I have no rub, just had to pound the pinchwelds very flat and I'm not having any rubbing at all

Build Thread
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclow33 View Post
Dont buy from Walmart. Buy from a tire shop.
Right, and while you're at it, only buy your Jeep parts from Quadratec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
What makes you say that they are virtually the same as Duratracs? They have a different tread pattern. Great ratings however, I'm not saying they are bad.
Because other than the tread pattern, which is similar (insofar as a hybrid AT/MT mix), everything else about the tire is the same: plies on tread, plies on sidewall, rim protector feature, similar shoulder, snow rated, max load, tire weight, tire dimensions, rim width range, max inflation, tread depth, blacked out one side OWL the other - all of it. I'm tellin ya, it's a good tire. I've dd'd on them for going on 3 years. I've wheeled the piss out of 'em. I've towed considerably on them. Never a problem. There are PLENTY of posts regarding these tires in the wheels&tire section and the ONLY bashing of these are from people who have never run them.

My 2 cents - take it or leave it
images-8-.jpg

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l-1-.jpg

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
coophadley
2007 XK Commander 

Do they have to be LT tires?
coophadley is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coophadley View Post
Do they have to be LT tires?
Nope, LT tires are heavier, P rated tires generally ride better/are quieter, and get better mileage.
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colint...assenger-tires
Quote:
I have taken calls from people that want to use a standard load tire on their truck or sport utility when a higher load range is required. Based on the specs they read, they assumed they would carry the load. That was not the case.

LT (light truck) tires are designed around the same basic rules as commercial tires. They have sufficient reserve capacity factored into the formulas used to designate their max load capacity.

P-metric and Euro metric tires, however, are not designed using the same set of rules. Their sizing system is designed for use on personal use vehicles which are normally less likely to be overloaded compared to a truck or commercial vehicle.

When looking at the max load of P-metric or Euro metric tires being used on light truck type applications (full size van, SUV, pickup truck, minivan, etc) the tire's max load must be reduced by 9%.

It is always best to stay with the vehicle manufacturer's recommended load range even if you don't plan to carry a lot of weight. Our website will filter out the incorrect load range options when you enter your vehicle prior to searching. - See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colint....m16TJLMz.dpuf
All this being said it depends on your usage. LT is a heavier duty tire, and if you tow/carry heavy loads/ or play in the rocks then you should consider LT tires.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 11-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Right, and while you're at it, only buy your Jeep parts from Quadratec.

Because other than the tread pattern, which is similar (insofar as a hybrid AT/MT mix), everything else about the tire is the same: plies on tread, plies on sidewall, rim protector feature, similar shoulder, snow rated, max load, tire weight, tire dimensions, rim width range, max inflation, tread depth, blacked out one side OWL the other - all of it. I'm tellin ya, it's a good tire. I've dd'd on them for going on 3 years. I've wheeled the piss out of 'em. I've towed considerably on them. Never a problem. There are PLENTY of posts regarding these tires in the wheels&tire section and the ONLY bashing of these are from people who have never run them.

My 2 cents - take it or leave it
Good info, I was only curious why you felt that they were so similar, as clearly Duratracs are very highly regarded around here.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 11-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Good info, I was only curious why you felt that they were so similar, as clearly Duratracs are very highly regarded around here.
Eh the Duratracs are far too overrated. People need to hop off the bandwagon (I was on that bandwagon). They're good tires...but certainly not up to the hype off road (sidewalls are far too thin for the price). The Wrangler Authorities are honestly the same performance and construction wise. If I could do it again and still wanted an AT tire, I would buy the Authorities. The Duratracs are expensive, and we all know people associate more $$ to better quality. Usually the case, but these tires are honestly far too similar. My next tires will be MTR kevlars. Similar price to the Duratracs...far superior off road. Anyone wanna buy my Duratracs?

Build Thread
Unread 11-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Every year the best is different... and currently (Other than the BFG Baja which run about $675 each) the Nitto G2 and the new TOYO R/T are the best AT's out there.

MTR Kevlars are better in mud and sharp rocks as so are several other MT's. They have better side wall protection.

I have a 2" lift, JK wheels, and a 1.5" spacer AND the pinch weld mod. ... I run the 265/70/17 G2's they clear but not by much. I think you need 1 size smaller if no pinch weld mod.

They are LT's but LT's are not needed on a WK.. just a better tire as the LT's have a deeper tread and thicker side wall.
Black WK Club #147

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.