Tire sensors - '05 Grand Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Tire sensors - '05 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
jlb2005

Tire sensors - '05 Grand Cherokee Laredo

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Had a new tire put on a week ago because of a flat and they used the rim from the spare to put the new tire on, instead of the regular rim. No big deal because they look the same, but now my tire pressure indicator light keeps coming on. Checked the tire pressure and all are good. My question is - where is the sensor located? If it's on the rim, then maybe there is no sensor on the rim from the spare? Or the sensor is bad? If it needs to be replaced, how difficult is it? Do you need a dealership to reset it so the indicator light goes out?

jlb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
skinton
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The tire pressure sensor is built into the valve stem on my 2006. Pretty sure yours is the same. It could be that your spare doesn't have the sensor built into it, but more likely the battery is dead. The batteries can't be replaced. You have to periodically replace the sensors. They run around $65 each, but if you look around, you can get them for about $25 each online. I bought one this past summer and have another one that needs replaced right now.

Check Partsgeek.com. I found mine for $24.60 there.

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L HEMI)
HEMI Club Member #53

2003 M-B C240 4matic
skinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

I'm pretty sure that the spare tire doesn't have the tpms in it. I would take it back to te shop that did the work and have them switch the tire back to the old rim. Should be free since they did something weird.. I've never heard of putting a new tire on the spare wheel. What did they do with the wheel that had the bad tire on it? Sounds like a big switcharoo lol
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Some years have a sensor in the spare and some don't. If it is there, and functioning, the system would auto detect it. I'd also recommend taking it back to the tire shop and tell them to make it right. Also ask why they used your spare maybe they damaged your other wheel and didn't want you to see it
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.